Rise and Shine!

Skyping this morning was fantastic! I went to bed around 9 and actually fell asleep, so I got a decent amount of sleep before the alarm went off around 2:30. Once I got out of bed I was totally awake. I fixed my hair and put makeup on, then connected with my professor at 2:45. There were two guest speakers in the class, which were both really interesting. I actually participated for the entire 3 hour class! Whew. Afterward, I watched a show, read some blogs, and ate breakfast, then it was pretty much time to head to work.

I was tired, but I knew it would be better to just stay up. I was really dragging mid-morning, but by the time my last period rolled around, I was feeling good. I did take a 3 hour nap when I got home, but other than that, this 3 am skype session seems like it will definitely work out well.

I got my book about Teacher Leadership yesterday and started reading it. So far the first chapter has been about the importance of high expectations and setting measurable goals for students that are significant. For example, certain teachers were cited that set the goal of improving all of their students' reading levels by two grade levels throughout the course of one school year. The book talks about the importance of making goals clear to students and ensuring that they understand the goal and that they are invested. I was thinking about my reading group last year who all started first grade reading between 0 and 3 correct words per minute on their Fluency assessment. I wonder what would have happened if as a group we set the goal of reading 50 words by the end of the year (surpassing the end of year benchmark for first graders). All of those kiddos improved, but not all of them made benchmark by the end of the year. Reading this first chapter just got my wheels spinning and got me thinking what if? What if next year, I set a goal for my Kinder kiddos that they will all be able to read 40 correct words per minute by the end of Kindergarten. Would it happen? I wonder...I feel like it's important to respect what is developmentally appropriate for kids, yet I know there were many first graders last year who scored beyond the end of the year benchmark at the beginning of the year, so it's not that far out to think there is potential.

I know the importance of high expectations and I definitely had them last year. My group consisted of the "low" learners and many of those students are students who live in poverty or were English Language Learners. They started the year behind their peers, yet I never felt like that meant they couldn't improve. I can't imagine ever thinking that! I remember telling the students what their goal was, yet I don't think I truly went through the process of getting them truly invested in it. The next chapter is about just that--Getting students and parents to invest in your goals, so hopefully I will gain some insight on how to do that.

I realized I have 3 chapters to read for my politics and policy class that I didn't get to this week, so it looks like I will be spending a lot of time this weekend with my nose in a book! Hopefully we will get some sunny weather!

On another note, my husband sent me an evite he received from a colleague at work. When I viewed it, I realized that this gathering is at the house of one of the students I know from school and other parents/students from school will be there. I told Mr. Sneaker that I don't want to go because I don't typically socialize with students and their parents, yet he said he thought I need to get used to that since the international school environment is different and it's typical here. I don't directly work with this student but, the student is in a classroom that I push into several times a week.
 
Would you go to a social gathering at the house of a student?
 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely would as long as you let a supervisor know first and explain this was an invite for your husband's job/contacts. I have had GREAT experiences getting to know families outside of school. I also worked at an international school so I know where you are coming from.

Momma V said...

I am not sure that I would go if it were me. It might be a little strange. But if that is the custom where you are I suppose it wouldn't be as bad.'

I've given you an award over on my blog. Check it out!

http://crazymomadventures.blogspot.com/2010/04/and-award-goes-to.html

Kelly said...

I like the whole thought of high expectations and I definitely have them for my kids- the only thing I worry about is stressing out kids that young, I think sometimes we set the expectation for kindergarten kids too high and even though they CAN meet it- it's at the expense of other things they need to be learning about at this age like social skills and developing a love for reading...etc. It's definitely a balance.

I would go to the social event but just realize that its kind of like a work event...and obviously be on your best behavior :)

Julianne Hendrickson said...

Absolutely! Our school believes in acting as a "family" and as, going to dinner with one family would be strange, we are highly appreciated when we go to events for kids outside of school, events at school where parents will be present, etc. I think as long as you continue to act professionally, it can't be a bad thing.

Sarah said...

First, I can't believe you got up for class in the middle of the night -- you are dedicated!!

Second, in the states, I would not go to a social gathering at a student's home. But the rules are different at international schools. At mine, we all "lived" together -- teachers would visit the dorms for a weeknight meal; they would invite students over to their house/apartment for a study session, etc. I'm guessing you're in the same type of international community (?). I think as long as you stay professional, you're fine!