I figured since I am still on spring break, it was a great week to try it out. The professor that has been working with me is teaching the course and it is one of the core courses that are we required to complete as a cohort. I missed two of those core classes this year because I am in Germany and the other teachers were not willing to let me skype in. This is the only class of the core series that my fantastic mentor/advisor teaches, and thankfully he is more than happy to use skype and help me connect with my group.
I chatted with him via skype at 9:00 and we discussed the idea of me joining the class. He was a little surprised that I would be willing to join in at such a random time, but he was all for it. The course is Politics and Policy in Education and he has lined up many guest speakers for the term. Given all that is going on the with education in the US right now, I am really interested in the content and it's an area that I really want learn more about. Also, given that I am still paying for my courses whether I skype only with my professor or join the group, I figure I benefit more from being part of the actual lecture and hearing the guest speakers.
I was a little groggy when I woke up, but I put on some concealer to reduce to I just rolled out of bed look and made myself a nice steaming cup of Chai tea to keep me alert. I was in my PJ's, but I had on a long sleeved T-shirt and I snuggled under a blanket (on my lap, so they couldn't see). I had no problem staying awake for the class and the speaker was really interesting. It was great to be part of the group and I even got to participate in a small group activity. That was a little more awkward, but I think that it is so amazing how much we can do with technology.
I had a hard time falling asleep both when I initially went to bed and then again after the class, so I ended up sleeping until 11:00 when I went back to sleep. I am not sure how this will work out when I actually have work the following day, but I am willing to give it a try. My professor alone has made my ability to continue participating in the program possible, so at this point I am willing to do crazy things to make it work. I am excited that next year I will able to be part of the group on a regular basis and just be in class with everyone instead of doing it from afar.
I am so thankful for my wonderful teacher. I want to do something nice for him to say thank you but I am not sure if it's okay to give him a gift per se.... I want to write him a nice card/letter describing how much I appreciate his efforts and his willingness to think outside the box.
Interesting way to start the day, but it was worth it! My friend Jill came back from her trip to the Canary Islands last night so we went for a run together today then after we cleaned up we walked into town and did some shopping at H&M. I got a new skirt, a top, and a scarf. It is so exciting to think about wearing a spring wardrobe again! Skirts, sandals, dresses, wahoo! Now I am watching Top Chef Masters and waiting for hubs to get home from work. He is taking full advantage of the longer days and is going to play tennis after work. He gets home really late when he does that, but I know how much he loves it so it's fine with me. He deserves it! I still need to do my pilates video and work on my arms a bit, but I need to chill a bit first.
Hope your day was a great one!
What is the best gift a student has ever given you? (it's always the handmade ones that are the best)
What is the most random/craziest thing you have ever done to reach a goal?

3 comments:
Props to you for the dedication to do that class at 3am! I'm really impressed.
1. The best teacher gifts are always food for me (or starbucks cards)
2. Most of my goals revolve around fitness, so I often wake up in the middle of the night (like 4am) to get runs/workouts in. I always feel a little crazy...
Sounds like a very interesting class!! I love learning about public policy, I'm such a nerd.
I also LOVE TOp Chef Masters!! Nick and I watched it this passed season for the first time.
Here is the link that was actually NOT on my post! thanks for pointing that out..I fixed it :)
http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2009/tv-news/biggest-loser-contestant-admits-dangerous-weight-loss-techniques/
I am impressed that you got up at 3 am to skype with your class, but then again when I was in Australia I woke up at 4 to watch Red Sox playoff games lol so haha
I don't see why you can't get your teacher a gift. Our kiddos give us gifts and teachers of older kids/adults get the short end of the stick haha. They implementing all sorts of rules in my district about presents and I find it annoying. Obviously teaching isn't all about gifts but other jobs have perks, let ours have one!
I love when I get gift cards to book stores :)
Post a Comment