We are supposed to choose an educational policy (which could be federal, state, or local) and propose a way that we would change it. We have to provide some background information on the policy that is written, describe what we want to change, and indicate what steps would need to be taken and what person would be the necessary contact person who could make the changes happen.
I decided that rather than a federal policy, I would prefer to use a local policy that exists within my school district because it's easier for me to think in terms of what is closer to home. I was really surprised to find a wealth of information on the district site regarding specific policies citing which federal or state laws they relate to. This class is absolutely opening my world to so many aspects of education that I never even thought about before.
Ultimately I decided to address my district's plan for ELL students since that is a particular area of interest for me. Of the 37 page document, there was one part that I honed in on that I think should change. Out of ten elementary schools in the district, three of them offer a Spanish Language Arts program for students whose dominant language is Spanish. Now, I am very familiar with the research behind why it is important to foster literacy in one's native language and the beliefs that children will actually acquire English better if they are able to learn content and increase their skills/literacy in their native language. I only have the best interests of the ELL students at heart, but I decided that the change I would make would be to remove this program and have all the students receive Language Arts instruction in English.
The children who participate are supposed to receive reading instruction in Spanish through 2nd grade and then transition to English instruction in the 3rd grade unless they score 90 correct words per minute or more on the IDELS assessment prior to that in which case they are exited early. The idea is that their literacy skills are built in their native language until they have acquired enough English to transition to English reading instruction. I understand the ideals, yet I don't think that all aspects of the program are working. I am pretty sure the school where I used to work decided to make some changes this year (probably the source of where my ideas for change really came from), but I am not sure since I have not been working there. One problem was that the program would only run if there were enough kids. Sometimes there would be enough children enrolled in Kinder and 1st grade, but then numbers would decrease meaning the program would not run for that group in 2nd grade and they would transition earlier than anticipated. Also, since only 3 of the schools ran the program, sometimes students would go from a school where the program was operating to a school where it wasn't meaning that they would be all of sudden be plopped into English instruction after having Spanish instruction since Kindergarten. The achievement gap in the district between ELL students and their native English speaking peers is indicative that many of the ELL students in the district are not at the level the district wants them to be at.
If these groups of Spanish speaking students received Language Arts instruction in English, that would be 90 more minutes per day of English exposure. I think that this could definitely contribute to better mastery of the English language and stronger literacy skills which they need to use in 3rd grade when taking state assessments. As part of my paper I suggested that an extended day program utilizing community and parent volunteers could provide Spanish speaking students with content learning and literacy activities in Spanish which would allow them to continue improving their Spanish language skills and content area knowledge. I just feel like the school day is too short to take away 90 whole minutes of exposure to English. Also, most teachers in the district have been trained in GLAD and SIOP strategies which means that they should be fostering connections between students' background knowledge and languages in all content areas.
For some reason, even though I have though about this a lot and feel it is a legitimate argument (that the district has grappled with for years as this program has gotten smaller and smaller), I have a lot of guilt over suggesting this program be removed. Now, my "suggestion" is only for the purpose of my assignment and it's not as though I am actually taking action on getting this program removed, but I just have an issue with taking a controversial stance on anything. I know this class is really good for me because it will force me to really solidify my opinions and educational values, but I am still at the point where I just want everyone to be happy and pleased with what I say (I know I need to get over that).
Bilingual education and proper instructional tools/strategies/methods for ELL students are always a topic of controversy in educational programs and I would usually consider myself someone who would be all for valuing and embracing students' native languages. I do, however, think that perhaps this particular program is not producing students with the necessary skills to meet the district goals. As I struggle to learn German I realize more and more that the reason I am having such a hard time learning the language is because I am not exposed enough to situations in which I hear it or have to practice it.
I feel conflicted over this and I guess I am still really trying to wrap my mind around it. I think it's good to weigh certain issues and think about both the positive and negative aspects and consequences for certain policies. I just hope that there isn't anyone in class who really tries to argue with me because confrontation make me tense!
What types of ELL or bilingual programs does your school have? Are they effective?
Do you think kids acquire English better/faster when they receive some instruction in their native language or when they receive all instruction in English?
Are you strong and opinionated when it comes to taking sides on an issue or more hesitant?

4 comments:
Hey Katie,
I think this is great and reasonable idea even if it is only in theory. This is something that my school has really struggled with. Up until two years ago we had Spanish Lit. but then it got cut due to funding. At this point we had to put all kids receiving this instruction back in to the core English reading. The overall consensus was this was a really difficult transition for our kiddos. For the past two years all of our students have been participating in the CORE reading. Something we have been able to do is our ELL teacher will teach the CORE reading at some grade levels. This means kids are receiving core instruction in a group of 6. It is working great! I think your idea is wonderful and it makes sense.
Our ELL program is basically just a tutor who pulls kids out for extra instruction. They used to not even take kindergarten kids but in the past couple of years they have taken a few if we fight for it (as always!). I think the idea of bilingual education, especially the program you mentioned is different depending on the lives of the student. A lot of our ELL kids continue to speak their native language and learn in their native language at home, so at school we just focus on English. Obviously this is not the case for a lot of kids who wouldn't really be taught at home. I think bilingual education definitely has its place, but I agree with your opinion of the program in your district (at least from what you have said...)Also, I don't think bilingual education should be ALL literacy in their native language...I think bilingual should be literacy in both languages. Of course, I have no idea how that would logistically work, but hey neither do a lot of the policy makers when they implement this stuff!
Hi Mrs. Sneaker,
The bilingual position I will have next year is a part of a Transitional Bilingual program. In this program, students receive primary instruction in Spanish during K-2. Students begin kindergarten with 80% Spanish and 20% English instruction. By second grade, that changes to 70%-30% respectively. The premise of the program is that when students are strong literacy skills in their native language, their skills in the second language are stronger.
I am a firm believer that students should be fully literate in their native language- I believe we do students an injustice to have it any other way. I know that students need to learn and master the English language, but I don't feel like it should be at the expense of mastering reading and writing in their native language. I feel that fostering true bilingualism and biliteracy helps these students maintain their own cultural identity while integrating themselves into a new one.
As you can see, I am someone who takes a side with controversial issues. Although I have strong convictions, I am always open to hear other perspectives. I think the worst things in the world is narrow-mindedness.
Thanks for posting and sharing this perspective on bilingual education!
In both ESL schools I have worked with in my district, I have taught a Sheltered English model. I am NOT an advocate for push-in/pull-out ESL instruction at all. I don't think it is effective. I have seen progress in the SIOP model though. My classes are generally about 50% ELL and 50% general education. Our area is low-SES and many of the children come to school without reading readiness skills and things as well. The Sheltered English strategies typically foster better reading practices in my native English speakers too.
I don't speak anything other than English so I can't support my students in their native language much but a few of our schools have partnered with a literacy foundation to help the parents learn English and for some who are illiterate in their first language, they have tutors and such to teach them how to read/write in Spanish so they can continue to foster that with their children.
Post a Comment