The first time I visited, I was preoccupied with being interviewed and meeting some of the staff, so I don't think I took as close a look as I could have. When I think back on the classrooms I don't remember seeing much besides student desks in the rooms. I didn't see cozy library areas or lots of materials, so I want to go back and take a closer look this time. I did notice that the teachers had office spaces outside the classrooms where they had a desk, phone etc. I thought that was interesting. The classrooms were all about learning and not the other business that needs to be taken care of like lesson planning and parent interactions.
I am so curious to learn more about the instruction at this school and I am starting to look forward to the fact that I will be able to do a lot of observation if I take the position as a teacher's assistant. From the looks of the classrooms, the instruction and educational atmosphere is very different that what I am familiar with so I am sure it will be a great learning experience. The principal told me they have very few discipline issues because the families pay so much money to have their children attend the school. I always had a lot of discipline issues in my classroom and often dealt with students talking when I was teaching and/or not following directions. Again, I am very intrigued to see how this plays out in a very different school environment.
My meeting with the professor went really well. He was a bit crazy, but he is very accomplished and is quite well known in the area for his achievements. He was very enthusiastic about helping me and indicated that I would be the first person to ever complete a Ph.D in this way in Germany. He said that as long as the professor in Portland is willing to "think outside the box" and do something different that it sounds like I will have great success. He referred to himself as being crazy in that he has 8 different jobs and does a million and one different things for the university and city and he said that I seem crazy too. I took that as a comliment that he would put me in the same category as himself and that he recognizes that I am a go getter.
He mentioned that he can help me get support from other faculty members at the university and conduct research around education and different cultures. He did say however, that I might not get support from a certain female faculty member because I am an attractive female and therefore she may take issue with me. He referred to this as "mare biting" like when female horses bite and fight with each other...... hmmmm. Did I mention he was a bit crazy?
It reminds me of a great advertisement from the apple Think Different campaign:
I would be honored to be one of the "crazy ones"

4 comments:
Wow, that would be very different to have no behavior issues! I'm really looking forward to hearing how everything goes. Did you guys decide to definitely move to Germany?
I'm so glad that you are seeing it as the adventure that it can be. It sounds like your mind is made up and it's a done deal?
I am glad your appointment with the professor went well! Good luck at the school tomorrow! If you can take pictures, I'd love to see what their classrooms are like!!
I am working at a different school than I do during the year. It's a camp for kids with dyslexia and I am a language tutor. It's great for the kids to have fun but also make progress over the summer. But i'm ready for a vacation already!
Post a Comment