Favorites

As a teacher you are not supposed to have favorites....yet I do. I can't help but form really special connections with certain students over others. Last year I had a student who I will ALWAYS remember for the rest of my life. Her photo is on my desk in a frame that says,
"100 years from now it will not matter the type of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."

Her parents gave me the framed photo at the end of the year and I cherish it.

Yesterday, for the second year in a row, I went to see her dance recital. She did a 50's number to Rock Around the Clock and I shined with pride. I did a little hooting and hollering in that tacky recital fan way and I smiled from ear to ear. It might not seem like a big deal to watch an 8 year old in a dance recital, but to see this student up on stage looking just like the other little dancers makes my heart shine. 

It looks like I am wearing a tutu, but I swear I was just in the audience and did not perform!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

So cute. I love going to watch my kids do stuff like this. I went to watch them all play soccer a few weeks ago. So much for fun than trying to manage them in school! They are all such fun and great kids but when I have to drill academics into their heads, it gets hard!

bettyb said...

You and your student look beautiful in pink and so happy. I know what you mean about always remembering some students. There are connections made that last forever.

Karin Katherine said...

What a great story...and I had to do a double take on the outfit. I think you look beautiful though.