
This is not my classroom library, although I kind of wish it was. Just an example of how organized it can look.
Now that I have been at it for a few years and have experience teaching reading to first graders, I have a better gauge of what kinds of books are appropriate for the shelves of a first grade classroom library. I made a huge pile of books that I deemed inappropriate and fortunately our school has a Book Nook program that I can donate them to so that kids in need can take them home. There is nothing wrong with the books, but I am trying hard to limit my books to ones that are truly age/level appropriate. I have gotten a lot of really nice, brand new books this year through the Scholastic Book Clubs and my fabulous Donors Choose proposal that was funded (Thanks Karin!) so I am less willing to hold onto the really old beat up, ripped, and way too hard books that I willingly adopted 3 years ago!
I also find that there can be such a thing as TOO many books in that the more we have the less we have to focus on caring for them. I found many books shoved in places they don't belong, so for the rest of the year I am going to display fewer books and have more put away for special checkout only (for responsible book users).
I decided that I really wanted to keep my books grouped by subject (especially the non-fiction ones) so I made bundles based on some of the topics we cover:
- insects
- matter
- weather
- frogs/amphibians
- colors
- animal life cycles
- dinosaurs
- presidents and American symbols
- parts of speech and grammar
- math books
- coins and money
I also have a bundle for special holiday/times of year books that I grouped in order of when the holidays come during the school year
- Back to School
- Halloween
- Thanksgiving
- Winter/Christmas
- Groundhog's Day
- Valentine's Day
- 100th Day of School
- End of the Year
All of those books are ones that I use for instructional purposes, so I don't let the kids have access to them all the time. My instructional books stay on my own personal bookshelves so that they stay in better condition and don't get lost/misplaced. Sometimes I feel like I am hoarding books, however there are plenty for the kids to read daily and I think I deserve to have an organization to my teaching materials that does not happen if the kids have access to everything.
I also organized books that the kids can read at all times and grouped them by type/author/level. Some of those groups are:
- Frog and Toad
- Cam Jansen
- Magic Treehouse
- Junie B. Jones
- Clifford, Berenstein Bears, & Little Critter
- Henry & Mudge
I did not take any photos yet, but I will try to remember to post a few. For now, here is a link I found to some good information on planning and organizing a classroom library.
This teacher has some good photos and explanations of how she set up her library. She even has custom labels that you can type over and print out for labeling those special "teacher books" that you don't want your students keeping in their desks.
Also, when I post my pictures, you will see I have a TON of baskets for my books which I found at the Dollar Tree. They have baskets that fit small chapter books like Junie B. Jones perfectly and they come in a variety of colors. You can't beat the price, so I have definitely stocked up as my library has grown.
Additional classroom library resources:

2 comments:
Hey, oh BOY do I wish my books looked like that. Every year I try to organize them and teach the kids how to manage them and they start off well by but this point in the year they need some attention :)
We JUST got full day K this year hurray! It's actually "optional" because the parents have to pay for the afternoon (we tried to do it regular but there was not enough money of course). I only have 1 student who does not participate and interestingly, she is my only kid who did not pass DIBELS at the end of the year, and she was DEFINITELY not my lowest coming in. I actually really hate DIBELS so I'm not trying to make some crazy big statement about half day vs. full day, but I did think it was interesting. I also saw huge progress this year and I'm sure the first grade teachers will do. The biggest difference is actually having time every day for some play!
That stinks that your school had to get rid of it! I completely understand though because like I said, we have to make the parents pay for it, even though I teach at a public school (there are scholarships for those that cannot afford it though)
Oh my Goodness when I saw that picture of the library I think I started drooling!! That's EXACTLY how I set up my classroom library when I taught 2nd grade, except on a much smaller scale! In fact I have a picture of my library up on my blog right now!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I look forward to getting to know you better through your's. I taught 1st grade one year! It was my first teaching and all I can say was it was tough! I have so much respect for 1st grade teachers!! I loved teaching 2nd grade and I am now working with upper grades but I DO miss the little ones!!
Thanks again for your comment!! I am going to become a follower here!!
Jen
Post a Comment