
A graduating high school senior in Maine was denied his diploma because he blew a kiss to his mom while walking across the stage.
When there are so many challenges facing our graduation rate is it really reasonable to deny a student the right to graduate based on a small action at the ceremony such as blowing a kiss?Considering other gestures that could have been made, a kiss to mom seems benign and sweet.
Administration of this district said that rules had been clearly stated regarding expected student conduct during the graduation and they were simply enforcing rules, however I have to say that whatever rules they instituted that would result in a student not graduating just because he blew a kiss seem like inappropriate rules to me. Have they taken into consideration different cultural values and behaviors for ceremonious occasions such as graduation? Perhaps this was the first person in the family to ever graduate and he got a little excited....
I just don't get it. Certain offensive behaviors might merit this result, however a kiss? Not one of them.... Do we have to take all the fun away? Even if students were passing inflated beach balls around and getting a little rambunctious, don't they deserve to celebrate the great accomplishment of graduation???

4 comments:
I'm glad you are speaking up about this. This is the sort of thing I find really offensive. The sort of thing that drives me crazy...rules that go beyond what the purpose of having rules is for.
Yes, I agree some things are not appropriate...I wouldn't want to see a child moon the audience upon accepting his or her diploma. That would make a mockery of the graduation.
Throwing up your hat or throwing out a kiss to your Mama? That would make me happy for the other Mama,the student and remind me what a great day this is.
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARe you KIDDING ME? BLOWING A KISS? I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE THAT WAS CONSIDERED INAPPROPRIATE!!!!!
High schools are really going insane lately with the rules.
By the way, thanks for the gel seat recommendation. I do have a Sports Authority around here so I think I'll go check it out. Anything that helps at all would be nice. I wonder why they don't just put comfy seats on in the first place!
I can't stand it when people are so strict about rules. It takes all of the fun out of everything. We are humans, not robots. Inappropriate gestures should be punished, but not gestures showing respect and affection. As my mother would say, "The very idea!"
Wow, that's pretty bad. It's why "zero tolerance" on rules never makes sense.
Post a Comment