I met with a representative from HR and the elementary school principal and really enjoyed the opportunity to see the school, however the info I received about the job was disappointing. The TA positions are only for 3 hours a day and the pay is not a lot at all. Also, the TA positions are only available in Kindergarten and First Grade. There are 6 Kindergarten classes and in Germany Kindergarten includes classes for 3 year olds, 4 year olds, and 5 year olds.
Do I really want to go from being the classroom teacher in a first grade classroom to being a helper in what is essentially preschool? Been there, done that, and teaching preschoolers is not my cup of tea. I did it for almost a year, and I really prefer children who more independent than that.
Disregarding the pay for a moment, I think that I would enjoy being a first grade TA because I have experience in first grade and love that age group. I am not sure however if I would be placed in that grade level because I also have preschool experience and that is stated on my resume and there were also more TA positions within Kinder so there is a greater likelihood I would get placed there. I would prefer to work more than 3 hours a day, but the principal did point out that this is a great way to "get my foot in the door" and that if another full time position became available, I would be able to move if I was a fit for that grade level.
Logically, it does not make sense for a licensed teacher with multiple endorsements and a master's degree in special education to work as an assistant position that pays very little.
Is this something I do to "suck it up" and hope that something better comes along within the school?
My husband and I have a lot to talk about....

5 comments:
That's a hard one. Is that the only school that you would be able to work at? Hope things work themselves out.
Yeah it is a tough one! I can see the side that it could get your foot in the door but at the same time I think it would be a really challenging position. Being that I am an inclusion teacher I have to share the job of teaching with other teachers and it's not always easy and that is when we are on the same level as teacher! I have a feeling a teacher assistant would be more of a paraprofessional! I could be wrong but I think after having your own class it would be hard to just be the assistant! But if it helps you to get your class, it may be worth it. Who knows you may get teamed up with a great teacher that is open to sharing the role of teacher!
I don't think I helped at all!! Sorry!! Good luck with your decision!! Let us know what you decide!
This school is not the only choice I have, yet one that has connections with my husband's company. We are trying to decide whether or not to move, so we kind of need to know whether or not I will be able to work very quickly. We are in Germany for another week, but I am SO unfamiliar with everything here I don't know where other schools are. I want an international school because they speak/instruct in English.
I think you are right Jen, that it would be very hard to be an assistant. I am used to running the ship! It would, of course be a great learning experience, but I feel like it is almost going back to student teaching only with a little bit of money thrown in..
Wow, you guys do have a lot to think about and discuss. I just want to offer another perspective.
Instead of concentrating on the salary and whether or not you would ""run the ship" why don't you choose a school that you like and leave yourself open to the possibilities that may not have yet presented themselves.
For instance, if it was only 3 hours per day and you were in a preschool classroom that is still a chance to teach in an international school---while living in Germany!!! Plus, it's ONLY 3 hours.
I know preschoolers aren't your favorite cup of tea, but you are very good with them...and am I to understand that these children are bilingual? Or are they American children in Germany?
Also, as you stated, the school may have other openings and you would already have your foot in the door. A lot could happen. Plus, they could see you in action and get an idea to place you elsewhere.
Also, who says you have to stay there the whole year? After a few months if something else came up at a different school you could give notice and transfer to the other school.
I know you have an advanced degree but don't let the pay determine your worth or the experience.
Also, could this be a blessing in disguise? If you were only working a few hours per day what else could you do with your extra time?
You are a very resourceful and talented woman.
Keep your mind open to the possibilities!
So excited for you both about this adventure.
Thanks for the advice Karin. Unfortunately because I do not speak any German (yet) that really limits the number of schools I can work at.
After speaking with a relocation specialist, she said that the school I spoke with is the only international school in the area and there is only one other bilingual Kinder program.
The children at this school are from all over the world--which is really cool, so you are right the experience would be valuable even if I am not in the "position" that I want. It is kind of just a pride issue I guess to know that I am a skilled teacher and the job does not require those advanced skills. Mostly parents typically fill the TA positions, not at all to say parents are not skilled, but just that you don't even have to be a teacher to be considered.
Working part time would allow me more time to learn German and hopefully to complete my doctoral classes if the university allows me. Also, an international educational environment would be a great place to just observe, volunteer in my extra time and conduct research.
I guess my concern is just feeling like I don't have choices, which is not necessarily a problem, just something I am not used to.
Post a Comment