
I just went running around my neighborhood and was surprised at how many kids I saw out playing in their yards. Why is that strange you might ask? Well, it is 8:45 at night...
- Step1
Have a designated bedtime. Decide whether the time you are choosing is the actual time you want the kids in bed or the time you want the bedtime routine to begin. Whatever the case, stick to that time. On the weekend of course you can push the time back a few hours as needed, but try to stick to the routine even on the weekend.
- Step2
Plan out what the course of events will be that will make up this bedtime routine. Always start out with an activity that can transition your child from their current activities to bedtime. They can, straightening up their room by putting away stray toys or clothes. If their room is already clean, they can quietly play or read for about 15 to 30 minutes. Make sure you call out a count down to bedtime to prevent tantrums. Such as, “one hour to bedtime, 30 minutes to bedtime, or 15 minutes to bedtime.”
- Step3
The routine itself should take about 30 to 45 minutes and consist of some if not all of the five main points that I’m about to mention. 1. Putting on their pajamas. 2. Brushing their teeth 3. At least 15 minutes of face to face time with the person putting the child to bed 4. Making sure you child is comfortable 5. Saying goodnight
- Step4
Depending on the child’s age, try to let them do as much as they can on their own. You should let the child choose his/her own pajamas and also let them put the toothpaste on by themselves.
- Step5
I found that the face to face time is best spent reading a couples of stories to the child. Let them choose the books. Involve them in the story by asking simple questions, such as “why did that happen or what do you think will happen next?” There are alternatives to reading a story such as singing a few songs together or if it’s an older child just talking.
- Step6
Make sure your child is comfortable by giving them their favorite stuffed animal or blanket, a small glass of water or even by turning on a night light. The last part of this routine should be saying goodnight. If you’ve taught your child a prayer let them recite it or simply tuck your child in and give them a reassuring hug and goodnight kiss. Don’t forget to say I love you and good night.

2 comments:
I just noticed you asked me how to get more followers. I'm no expert but the best thing for me has been to follow other peoples blogs and comment on them. That and giveaways :)
I'm proud to say we have the same bed time routine going here that we did when you helped me with the kids. Bedtime is 7:30P though and not 7pm anymore.
My kids have never mentioned to me that it was still light out. I do have black out curtains in their room but honestly, some nights I don't close them all the way and it doesn't make a difference. It's about having a routine and we never went out to play after dinner so it wasn't an issue. I think some parents feel so guilty about the hours they are away from their kids that they don't want to send them to bed. They want to see them. I can understand that, I feel bad for them.
Post a Comment