Proud New Owner

I am now the proud new owner of this baby

see that hefty price tag?

not. what. I. paid. 

Lakeshore is currently having a big sale with 20% off tons of stuff. I'm not sure if it's storewide, because there always seem to be exceptions, yet this puppy was on sale for $69.99

Yes, that would actually be 54% off! woot woot! 

Plus, I had $55 in giftcards that parents gave me last year. 

So, basically, this beauty cost me 14.99. 

SCORE! 

I also stocked up on the laminating pouches because those were eligible for the 20% off. I got two boxes of the 9" by 11.5" and each box contains 100 pouches. I really have no idea how quickly I will go through those, but each box was $15.00 today, so that's not horrible. I also think I could order pouches from amazon for cheaper that would also work. I got the 3-mil pouches which aren't quite as thick as I was hoping, but I am still a happy camper.

So, let's take a look...

 pretty!


My first laminating job is the desk tags that we are going to use this year courtesy of my teammate who created them. She used an idea from a catalog and put our Journeys sight words on it. We plan to laminate them and have the kids keep them in their work buckets as opposed to on the tables. That works better in my room for sure since I share the classroom with another teacher and any kind of name tag on the tables take up too much space on the table since there have to be two at each table spot. 

 in

 out

voila!

You may be wondering why I would need my own personal laminator when there is one available at school. Well... there are rules about laminating at school that require us to leave the items we want laminated by the machine labeled with our name and grade so that once a week a parent volunteer can do the whole stack. This is in order to prevent the waste that goes along with laminating small projects. I am never organized enough to have my stack of things that need to be laminated ready in time for the volunteer. I just don't work that way. Also, if I get a new student on Friday, I hate to wait all the way until the following Friday to get items laminated. Now, I can conveniently do that at home whenever I need to. 

I probably would not have made this purchase if it was not on sale because it normally isn't cheap, but considering I had the gift cards and it was on sale, I figured it was meant to be. I am really glad I had gift cards too because that means I'm not submitting the receipts for reimbursement, which means that the laminator is my property and not the property of the school district. 

The only thing that could make life better would be getting one of those amazing Cricut machines. 
::drool::

My teaching partner/roommate has one of those, so I guess I can live vicariously through her....and she shares. 

Do you get money through your school district to spend on school related expenses? 
How much out of pocket money would you estimate you spend each school year?


4 comments:

Kristen Alexis said...

i LOVE my laminator as well!! Now, all I need (like you) is a Circuit! It's already on my christmas list! :)

Raye said...

I would die without my little laminator. I have the Scotch 3M one. $25 at Target. You can't go as wide but is does a regular sheet of paper so it works for me. They are so weird about the laminator at school that I never bother to use it unless I absolutely need to. The small one works great and the 3M pouches are kinda pricey but are thick and I love them!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Yay for your new laminating machine!

I would have a hard time with the once a week rule for the laminator, I am constantly laminating things at the last minute! Luckily, we have access to our laminator although it relatively frequently runs out and does not get replaced and/or is broken haha, but I'll count my blessings :)

I have to see if my Lakeshore is having a sale though!

Courtney said...

I just bought a personal laminator a few weeks ago and I am so excited to use it. We have lots of laminating restrictions and they buy the cheap film that doesn't seal. I scored mine on amazon for 24.00 so I was excited. As for how much we get to spend, I got 25 dollars but it had to be shared with my co teacher and we had to use a certain company. I got some tape and a corrector tape dispenser. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but it really wasn't worth the time it we spent to find something for that price.