Tomorrow

Tomorrow I am attending a CCSS Instructional Materials Evaluation session for English Language Arts through the Oregon Department of Education. I was invited to attend as a guest by a fellow doctoral candidate after he saw my presentation about my dissertation research at our PSU student research symposium. I'm not exactly sure what is going to take place, but I am excited to be a part of it--or at least to be able to watch it take place. 

What I think is going to take place is that we/they will be looking at instructional materials for grades K-8 in order to evaluate how well each program covers the CCSS. I was invited to observe and listen to the discussion in order to provide feedback about the cultural responsiveness of the materials since my dissertation research was on the interplay between scripted curricula and culturally responsive instruction. 

I'm kind of nervous because I really don't know anyone that is going. I have only met the guy who invited me once and I honestly don't even know if I will recognize him.  I am also super excited because I have done a ton of work and research in the past 4 years and I would love an opportunity to do something with it. I truly feel like I have good ideas and the department of education certainly seems like a good audience to share them with. Hopefully I can do more than just watch, but like I said, I really have no idea what to expect. 

Now I have to decide what to wear...

Are you a leader or a follower when it comes to your teaching? 

2 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Oh, this sounds really interesting! It's cool to be able to offer your advice to such "high up" people. I love that they are asking a REAL teacher too. Amazing!

I have become much more of a leader the past few years... next year I am leading my whole district in implementing our new K math program, which is a little scary because I have not used the program before myself!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

This will be my first year teaching, but I envision myself being a leader in the future for sure!

Can't wait to hear how it goes, good luck!