Do you send a note/letter to students before the first day of school? Tell me all about it!
What do you say?
Do you include anything with the letter?
I remember getting a letter from my Kindergarten teacher that came with a name tag I was supposed to wear on the first day of school that was shaped like a sneaker. It was really exciting and I want to spark that same excitement in my students! Maybe they would like seeing what I looked like on my very first day of school!
I am always hesitant to feel like my class list is set in stone until the eleventh hour because for some reason things are never finalized until school actually starts. When I got access to my school email again, I was excited to find my class lists and confused to see 17 children in one session and 15 in the other. Although that would be a DREAM, I was told I would get about 25 in each class, so I know there are going to be lots of additions over the summer. I do however, recognize that starting Kindergarten is a BIG event for kids and their entire families, so I really want to put something in the mail to them around the last week in August. Again, I feel like a lot of these things that I am worrying about will make more sense once I actually get to OR and see my school, classroom, and teaching partners.
For now, while I attempt to plan, I am interested to hear your ideas about welcome letters/notes/cards and what you do to welcome kiddos to your classroom...

4 comments:
I send both a welcome letter to the parents (that goes in with the letter that tells them who their teacher is) and then the week before school starts I send a letter home to the kids just telling them about me and the classroom and how excited I am to have them, etc.
Hi Katie! I'm going to call parents I think this year- honestly, it's because of postage. I figure I can save money and it's a little more personal. It might be awkward though, I don't know... can you tell I haven't gotten there yet? haha Too busy working on my actual room! Let me know what you decide to do?
Hey there! I have been having the same issue. I started a letter but I got stuck b/c I felt like I was addressing both parents and students and but I really think it may be best to send out two separate letters.
I never got letters from my teachers in the before school but I was always eager to start school so I know it would've been incredible to get a letter from my teacher!
We are required to call by my school. They get really excited for the call (the parents always say they've been waiting all day...which is sometimes in a snide way when they say "oh our neighbor's teacher called hours ago-we were wondering") Anyways-I used to send letters, but I've decided the phone calls are too much fun. If I get voicemail I leave a message and then try again once more that night.
It is so funny to hear their little shy voices on the phone. It usually takes an hour to call 20.
Post a Comment