Rhyme Time, Soap Boxes, & Doughnuts

Instructor Magazine includes lots of fun lesson/activity ideas submitted by teachers. I came across several that I thought sounded like ideas I would like to use in Kindergarten this year, so I thought I would share them.

Rhyme Match Box

Focus Skills-rhyming, sensory skills, shapes, language, recognizing words

What To Do--Place a variety of items or photos in a box. Make sure each item has a "rhyme match." You could use a sock and a block, a brick and a stick, a cat and a bat--the options are endless. Have each child pick an item from the box. When the box is empty, have the children look for their "rhyme match."

Then Try This--Place a cloth over the box so that children can't see in.  Have them slip their hand in and pull out one item and then another.  Do they rhyme? If so, they are in the game for another round. If not, they are out. Play until there is only one child left standing

This sounds a bit like the rhyming game I posted about from Lakeshore the other day. If I got that game, I could use it for stations, but could use the materials included to do this game with the students as well.

Rhyme Pockets

Focus Skills--rhyming, reading, hand-eye coordination, language

What To Do--Attach a variety of pictures to card pockets. Then, write words that rhyme with the pictures you have chosen on popsicle sticks and place them in a baggie.  If you are doing this with non-readers, put pictures on the popsicle sticks, too. Attach the pockets to the wall where kids can read them. Encourage children to select popsicle sticks from the jar and place them in the pockets with the picture that rhymes.

Then Try This--To save space and make is easy to use year after year, attach card pockets to the inside of a file folder. ( I think I would do this to make it a station activity).


Easier Card Storage

Idea submitted to Instructor by Nicole Hughes from Alabama--

Playing cards (and the boxes they come in) get lost easily (and I [KT] will add that they get ripped, torn, & destroyed as well!) in my classroom, so I bought travel soap containers at a dollar store to store the cards in! They are colorful, durable, and easy to label.




Doughnut Vowels

Idea submitted by April Clark from Alabama

My students play "Delicious Doughnuts" as a short and long-vowel review game. Each student is given five small paper plates, each with a vowel written in the center. They are then given "doughnuts"-- or larger paper plates with the centers cut out--with different letters on each side of the doughnut hole. To make words and practice vowel sounds, they place the "doughnut" over top of the small plate, read the word they've formed, and write it down. They proceed for each vowel plate and switch plates with other students to review new words. This activity is great for centers!

I bet creative/artistic teachers could make this really cute!!


Next up-- Let's Move: Better Health at School (also from Instructor!)

and

Outlaw Glitter...and 21 more rules for teachers

No comments: