The story is about a teacher who has Tourette's Syndrome and his journey to overcome obstacles he faced because of his disability in order to obtain a teaching job. I really liked this film and thought it did a very good job shedding light on what Tourette's Syndrome is, showing a positive role model of someone who does not let his disability "win," and also highlighting how accepting children can be if they are educated about something. Throughout the film, the main character Brad was always open and honest about his disability and welcomed questions from his interviewers and his students. Both my mom and I cried during the film, so if you can track it down or read the book bring your tissues! It is based on a true story and it's definitely a story of perseverance worth knowing.
If I didn't make you interested, here is some more info from the national tourette sydnrome association:
Front of the Class (published in September 2005) is an inspiring
true story of incredible challenges and unwavering determination.
As a child with Tourette Syndrome, Brad was beaten, mocked
and shunned. Some thought he was possessed by the devil.
Others, including members of his own family, refused to be seen
with him in public. As an adult, Brad overcame all odds to become
an award-winning teacher of the year for the state of Georgia.
Brad is an inspiration in overcoming life’s challenges. Nothing, not even Tourette Syndrome, stops him from pursuing—and achieving—his goals.
I have also seen Toy Story 3 (LOVED it and definitely bring your tissues), Eclipse, and When in Rome. Now that Mom and Dad have hit the sack, I am tuning into the Bachelorette. I caught the end of Chris Harrison's interview with Jake and Vienna about their breakup and it was intense! Did you see it?? Jake definitely seemed like a very different person and not in a good way. I was never a huge fan of Vienna, yet she seemed truly hurt and upset by his actions and he seemed cold and cruel! I didn't really think their relationship would last, but it's crazy that they are having such a nasty breakup and that they would agree to do an interview and then fight on screen!



2 comments:
I've never heard of "Front of the Class" but it sounds intriguing! I'll look for it at our library. I recently saw "Knight and Day"--a tongue in cheek action comedy-- and absolutely loved it! (I don't understand why critics didn't).
If you couldn't tell, I'm reading backwards through your old posts - hehe. Anyway, I actually met Brad! I'm a Teaching Fellow (it's a scholarship for Education majors in NC) and he came to speak at one of our annual conferences. The actor that played him in the movie did SUCH a great job because he behaved in almost the exact same way as the real guy. I was SO inspired by him and I definitely read the book soon after that conference. I missed the movie when it came on tv, but I caught the second half of it on tv this summer. Have you heard of Ron Clark? Have you seen his movie and read his books? I definitely recommend it if you haven't! (He's a teaching fellow from NC like me.)
Post a Comment