(I also want to create some sort of system for organizing the little tidbits of wisdom I find so I can actually locate them and use them when needed. Frequently I come across great websites, articles, and ideas but without a system to catalog them I find that I lose track! I am thinking of starting an idea notebook where I can have sections for cool educational websites/blogs, books, ideas, inspirations, items to buy etc., but that will have to be a different post after I get it all figured out!)
How do you keep track of ideas???
One article I tore out of Instructor is called:
10 Ways to help ELLs Succeed in Math.
Great topic, right?
I am not going to summarize every point from the article, but I would like to share the basic bullet points of their top 10 strategies....
1. Create vocabulary banks
2. Use maniulatives
3. Modify teacher talk and practice wait time
4. Elicit nonverbal responses (like thumbs up or thumbs down)
5. Use sentence frames
6. Design questions and prompts for different proficiency levels
7. Use prompts to support student responses
8. Consider language and math skills when grouping students
9. Utilize partner talk
10. Ask for choral responses from students
What do you think of the list?
What strategies are you already doing?
What strategies are new for you?
The article also included some additional teaching tips!
- use pictures and manipulatives!
- show and tell whenever possible through demonstration
- get the students up and active
- use small groups to allow ELL students to feel more comfortable and confident
- give ELL's opportunites to work individually
- relate a concept to a personal experience
- have students keep journals (my friend Jill (third grade teacher) used math journals and had students write down vocabulary words, pictures, definitions, and examples. The students then brought the journals home daily so parents could see what they were learning and help with homework if needed). I really like this idea a lot!!!
Where do you get your best teaching ideas?



2 comments:
Ok, the title of your post, reminded me of one of my favorite books for kindergarten - We Share Everything! by Robert N. Munsch. I'm not sure if you have this book or not, but you NEED it for your kindergarten class... it's VERY cute. :)
hi! new kindergarten teacher here and your newest follower- so excited to see what you have to share!
Post a Comment