This next one is called Outlaw Glitter and 21 more rules for teachers... just some silly stuff that you might relate to! (my additional comments are italicized--everything else was in the article and to be honest I had more fun writing those comments than reading the 22 rules....!!)
1. As many crayons as you think you need, double it. (agreed!)
2. Pack a lunch--school cafeterias are not created with adults' tastes or metabolisms in mind!
3. Buy plain band-aids.
4. Invest in a really good thermos--it may be possible to teach without coffee, but we don't even want to know!
5. Please do not lick the paintbrushes. (???)
6. Cherish kids' excuses.
7. Think twice before you get out the glitter. (I heart glitter and at least at school I am not responsible for vacuuming..tee hee hee)
8. Teach them to walk in a straight line--teachers judge other teachers by how their kids walk in a straight line (my Kinder kiddos will be slithering, tip toeing, penguin walking, and creeping down the hallway---we'll walk with style!)
9. Keep a change of clothes in your car. ( I will never forget the comment under the "reason for leaving" column of our sign out sheet one day--a teacher wrote, "Kid puked on me.")
10. Sit in the back of the bus on field trips.
11. The professional development you want is rarely the PD you get.
12. Don't bring in treasured photos or souvenirs (or just teach your students how to respect them so you can share with them what is important to you!)
13.You will break up a fight in the boys' bathroom. (Doubtful)
14. The teachers' lounge is better and worse than everyone says.
15. Not every child will like you. (and you won't like every child...yeah I said it....)
16. When your students beg and plead for a class pet, it's okay to say no. Especially if it bites.
17. Choose books you like. (read with enthusiasm, don't be afraid to cry during sad stories, and be prepared for more tears when they clap at the end of a great story!)
18. You will get lice. (yuck!)
19. Your students will be shocked if they see you at Target. (They won't see me because I will hide...j/k!)
20. Don't beat yourself up if you have to use a bribe.
21. History will repeat itself.
22. Laugh (often!)
Ok, so some of these are pretty silly/weird/stupid, but some are actually pretty good gems of wisdom. I like #22 a lot and #11 has a lot of merit. I sure hope I can avoid #18 and I would change #20 to "don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day."
Do you have a funny story of needing an extra pair of clothes while at school?
What piece of advice would you give a new teacher?

5 comments:
I agree 100% with #2, which could lead to a child puking on you (or you getting sick yourself) #9, and #15 is 100% true - not every kids will like you and you most definitely will not like every kid. There are names I would never name my child thanks to students I have had in class!
Awesome! thanks for sharing!
~Maggie
Please - most of these are plain silly... at least for me - I have learned to LOVE glitter... my kids think it's MAGIC and I'm starting to believe it too. :)
Please - most of these are plain silly... at least for me - I have learned to LOVE glitter... my kids think it's MAGIC and I'm starting to believe it too. :)
Not every lesson plan has to be a gourmet dinner. Sometimes it’s ok to just pop in a microwave meal.
Post a Comment