organizers, calendars, and schedules...oh my!

As my time left in Germany quickly dwindles down, I am feeling the pressure to be über organized in preparation to hit the ground running as soon as I get back to OR. Not only will I have to set up my entire classroom in the new (to me) school that I will be working at, but I also have to do crazy things like get a car, set up my new living space (which just may include quite a few shopping trips to stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Target to buy things that I already have but can't bring with me like hangers, my glorious body pillow, new sheets and all that good stuff), unpack the ridiculous amount of clothes that I am bringing, and see all my wonderful friends that I have missed seeing over this past year. Whew! I am tired already!!

I printed out some very cute calendar pages from The Busy Teacher's Cafe site (which by the way has changed a lot since the last time I visited and looks super cute and organized (not that it wasn't before, but even more so now)). We have a ginormous write on/wipe off wall calendar in our apartment, but I needed to have my own (more portable) pages where I could document all the things I need to do leading up to my departure and all the things I need to do once I arrive.

Once everything was written in (including some lunch dates with friends, a math training I will be attending, in-service days etc.) I realized I have just about 10 free days during which I have to do everything to get ready for the year.

:: heart palpitations::

I haven't seen my classroom yet, but I am sure it looks pretty empty and lonely. I am basically starting from scratch as I did when I first started teaching. Thankfully I have accumulated quite a bit of teacher goodies since then which I will have to retrieve from our storage unit (note to self: add getting stuff from storage to the calendar). Once I get going, I don't think it will take that long to decide how I want to arrange the room itself, but all those cute little projects and things that turn it from a plain old classroom into an enticing and exciting place of learning are what will take up the most time. Is 10 days enough?? I have a lot of teaching materials from first grade, but the decorating part is something I always seem to do from scratch each year.

Once in-service starts I know that there will be other PD activities planned so I don't want to leave anything for the last minute. We also have a Back to School Night event on September 1st, which is the week before school starts, so pretty much everything needs to be in order by then. I love the idea that the Kindergarten kiddos get to come in early because they can drop off their supplies (which means I can get them organized prior to the start of school instead of accumulating a huge pile of tissues, hand sanitizer, baby wipes, crayons etc. as the kids arrive on the first day) and I can meet them ahead of time (hopefully not all at once), which will be great. That night, the kids get to see the classroom, find their cubby/table spots, and then take a ride on the bus while we speak to their parents about what it will be like in Kindergarten. We can also take care of finding out how they will be getting to and from school. I love the fact that I will get to meet the families and kids before school starts because not all parents can bring their kids to school which means sometimes I don't even meet them in person until fall conferences. I am so thankful that this night has been set up because I never would have thought of doing a separate one, yet I think the idea is genius!

I feel like there has to be more that I can do from here since I have a lot of free time, yet I feel like I can't commit to anything yet since I don't know what my room is like and I haven't yet grasped how I will organize things with two different groups of students. I guess I could work on a welcome letter where I introduce myself or type up the songs that I want to use for when I put them on the overhead or document camera. I could also work on my classroom blog or continue getting my ideas organized so that I am 100% ready when I return. There are lots of things to be done...it's a bit overwhelming!

Do you think about school all summer or do you let your mind take a vacation too??
How do you stay organized? Personal planner? Calendar? Computer calendar?

9 comments:

Kristen said...

I do think about school all summer. In fact, I was thinking about it and making mental notes when I told myself I wasn't going to think about school at all! I laid in bed this morning at 1am thinking about school and what needed to be done, then started to have a slight panic attack at the thought. Wow! 10 days to put a room together. I've done it twice, and the last time was a bit nerve racking, but if you have an idea once you see the room, it will be OK! Enjoy your time left on vacation while you can!

Jen said...

I want to first say the students that are going to be in your class this coming year are so lucky!!! I just love your enthusiasm and the energy you put into making your classroom and learning environment such a magical place! I can't wait to see pictures!! Make sure to take before and after pics!!

When I was a classroom teacher I thought about school ALL.SUMMER.LONG! I loved planning and preparing. I would draw maps of where I was going to put the furniture, where I would set up my workstations, etc. I LOVED it and honestly I miss it! I was just thinking yesterday how much I miss having my own class. Teaching is definitely my passion. I love being in a leadership role but it's just not the same!!

Yesterday was the first day I began thinking about school stuff. I started thinking about the different lessons I wanted to do for the different grade levels at my school. It was all just in my head. I may start actually preparing them soon. We start back to school in a couple of weeks so it will be here soon!!

I want to let you know that I will be hosting the Back to School Teacher swap again on my blog during the month of August. I would love for you join in. I also know you have lots of teachers who read your blog so if you wouldn't mind passing the word on to them, that would be great!! The more that participate the more ideas we can "Borrow!"

Good luck with your last days in Germany!! Enjoy your time!!

Jen

Raye said...

I do think about school all summer long. It's pretty rare for me to ever not have some thoughts/ideas about school going on in some corner of my mind. I have gotten good at compartmentalizing a lot of my thoughts so even when I'm focused on other things, I can think through teaching stuff (decorating, a problem I'm trying to find a resolution for, etc). I often wake up with epiphanies and solutions to whatever I've put in my "back compartment" because I just let it sit in my subconscious and after a day or two (the longest is 3 days), I get a great idea or solution :)

Have you read Spaces & Places by Debbie Diller? I am waiting for it from the library since I can't access (or even see) my room right now either. I'm hopeful it'll at least give me a heads up on starting to think about my space.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I don't think about school in all summer. Summer is for rest. I usually go abroad or pass my time with my friends and family. But, I think we have to plan something for our schools also. I like the calendar you have shared here. I will definitely try this from next vacations.

Thesis Papers

Sarah said...

I let my mind breathe until the last few weeks of summer vacation ;)

It sure sounds like you've got QUITE the to-do list. Don't forget to breathe and pace yourself!!

Unknown said...

Assignment Help UK
Assignment Writing Help UK

Assignment Help
Assignment Writing

Unknown said...

I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks
Best advertising Agency in the world | advertising agencies in Lahore | advertising agencies in Karachi

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I appreciate your efforts in preparing this post. I really like your blog articles.
Dissertation Help
Buy Dissertation Online