Inspiration

Today was one of those mornings where I looked around at all the clutter in my office and kitchen and just had to tidy up when I really needed to be getting ready for work. I was brushing my teeth (well really just walking around with my toothbrush clenched in my mouth) while I made the bed and put away the clothes that were lying on our guest bed. The same mess had been there all weekend, yet it wasn't until I was really in a time crunch that I felt the need to get rid of it. I guess timing is everything...I needed a little bit of extra motivation to get that tidying done and luckily I still made it to work on time!

I got to sub for my friend today in math because she was home sick. Ahhh...the joy of being in charge and actually teaching the group! We worked on the difference between equations, numeric expressions, and inequalities and I really got to do my thing since she was too sick to write a thorough plan. She knew I would be covering so she pretty much left the worksheets and said to do some examples with them knowing that I could handle it. I loved the chance to put on my "real teacher" hat again!!

Today inspiration is on my mind because after talking with my partner in OR on the phone yesterday, I felt completely inspired by her. For the online course I am taking, I have to collaborate with another teacher in order to create and implement reading intervention lessons for a student. I create the lessons and she teaches them to one of her students, then she provides me with feedback so I can create the next lesson. Usually we chat on the phone on the weekend to go over our assignments, how the previous lesson went, and what we want to do next. I don't know much about her school or the student we are working with because the information needs to be kept confidential. She did reveal that she works at  an alternative school that services students who have been removed from their homes. Some students have come from environments where drugs were used and some students have police records.  They have it rough and tough and she is their teacher. She works her butt off sometimes spending more than 12 hours at school in an effort to get everything done. She is supposed to be retired, yet this is how she spends her days. Helping kids who quite possibly feel like they have nothing and no hope. She helps them realize that they can have a future and gently guides them to continue their education and alter the path of their lives.

As we spoke, I was in awe of her commitment and her capacity to handle the situations she described. She shared some information about the student she selected for us to work with for our assignments and I was near tears to hear about the drastic changes that have taken place in his persona since she first met him. She tried to share this credit with me, explaining that the lessons I have created have helped him to grow as a learner, yet I feel so insignificant compared to the powerful impact she is having in this student's life. I picture her as a more mature Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds or Hillary Swank in Freedom Writers yet with a greater longevity of wisdom from years in the classroom. At one point before the course started, I considered dropping it because I was a little nervous about having to work with a partner. I tend to be a perfectionist and don't really like to rely on other people when it comes to my grades. I am so glad I decided to stick it out because I have had the pleasure of working with this terrific lady. She is so sweet and so complimentary of me as if my skills even compare to her years of experience. We agreed that when I go back to OR, we will meet for coffee and I am looking forward to it! I am thankful that I am able to work with this person and she has left an impression on me with regards to what kind of teacher I strive to be!

Who or what inspires you ?
Which movie did you find more inspiring? Freedom Writers or Dangerous Minds? Or do you have another favorite?

5 comments:

Kenlie said...

I think I'm most inspired by the people and things around me. Lame answer, I know...but true. hehe

Kenlie said...

I think I'm most inspired by the people and things around me. Lame answer, I know...but true. hehe

Theresa Milstein said...

Your partner has many years of experience, so it's no wonder that she can handle that situation. She sounds like a great role model.

I liked "To Sir, with Love", but that teacher had it easy. He threw out the curriculum and talked about real life because it was the end of the school year with a bunch of seniors. Those movies fill me with skepticism, which is probably not fair. Read, Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire. That teacher is inspirational.

Ginger Snaps said...

My awesome co-workers constantly inspire me. I am forever learning new ideas, songs, and activities from them. I love their brains! I never saw freedom writers, but I've heard it's wonderful. I don't know if I can think of any other favorite teacher like movies. Maybe they'll come out with a good one soon. =)

Kelly said...

At least once a week I think about how I'd like to be a pull out teacher and work with kids in small groups and 1:1. Then I read your posts and I'm like, would I miss teaching the whole class? I don't know! I need like a year to try it out or something haha. Anyways, my mom inspires me, a lot of my coworkers, and you inspire me :)