It is a gorgeous day in Germany! It is 54 degrees out, the sky is Robin's Egg blue, and the sun is shining! I just went for a run outside and I had forgotten how nice it is to exercise in the fresh air. I don't run that often because running on the treadmill at the gym is so boring. Even with good music, it seems like every minute is an eternity and I typically choose another form of cardio over running. When I am outside though, it is so interesting to look at all the scenery, pass by other people, and just be in the sun soaking in the rays.
The one thing that makes running outside less appealing is that I really have a hard time determining what my pace is. I run between 11 and 11.5 km/hour (6.8-7.1 miles per hour) on the treadmill and I like to know how fast I am going. It feels like I run a lot slower outside since I don't have the belt to keep me at a steady pace. Usually I just pick an amount of time I want to run for and try my best to keep a steady run without walking, even if my pace feels slower.
I noticed the past few times I have run that when I get home there is blood on two of my toes. For some reason they are squishing each other/rubbing funny when I run and it makes them bleed. With ridiculously expensive custom orthodics, I am not sure why this is happening! It doesn't really hurt as I am running, but when I am done there is blood. I make sure to keep my nails trimmed because I thought maybe the nail was digging in or something, but that's not it. Boo!
In just a bit I am off to work on another block of my quilt. Today's will make a grand total of 4. Then I will have 5 more to make of this same pattern before I move onto the next star pattern. I am enjoying learning how to sew, but it is not as leisurely as I would like considering I have to schedule times to go over to Lucinda's to work on it. On a beautiful day like today, I would rather be outside than inside sewing, but we already set up the time for me to go over and work. Maybe some day I will have my own sewing machine so I can just sew whenever the mood strikes.
It is only 2:15 and my To Do list for the day is almost complete. I need to read for my class and maybe work on my paper a little bit more, but then I plan on getting my relaxation on this evening and catching up on some shows!
Now it's your turn:
1. Do you prefer the treadmill or the pavement?
Most often the pavement (but that is weather dependent)
2. What outside activity do you miss the most when it's all wintery and snowy out?
I enjoy walking/running outside and just being outdoors when it's sunny and warm, but in the winter I always just want to cozy up inside and hibernate! I am glad the sun made an appearance today :0)
3. Are you currently reading anything interesting that you could recommend?
I am reading a few books for class, but I want something just for fun.

5 comments:
I prefer the treadmill b/c pavement hurts my knees. I miss strolling through parks and gardens during the winter. Right now I'm reading Nicholas Sparks the Last Song and it's really good so far :)
My toes don't bleed, but if I have recently cut my nails, the ends of my big toes have what looks like blood under the skin because my foot pushes against the front of the shoe through my whole run. I am sure it's different... but we all have some kind of weirdness. :)
I like to run on the local high school track, it has a softer surface than concrete and I enjoy being outdoors.
Living in sunny southern California I have rarely have to deal with weather problems - and when it does rain I actually enjoy running in the rain (just for a change).
Just for fun books...The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins are addicting reads. Not for fun, but a book you will never forget is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Just my $0.02
In the perfect world I prefer running outside because it's more interesting but it's harder on my body and since my knee won't let me run at all right now I'm guessing outside running is not in my future. I recommend getting a Garmin Forerunner if you want to get more into outside running because it will tell you your pace and how far you are going :)
It's been pouring for 48 hours and there is no sun in the forecast until Monday here. I hate days without sun! I think I miss exercising outside the most in the winter- walking, running, biking, rollerblading!
I am currently reading The Friendship Test, but I am not far enough in to recommend it yet!
I used to bleed on my feet when I went running, and it was due to my toe nails rubbing up against my skin!! I do trip my nails, but my pinky toe was the culprit. Have you considered that?
I don't really run much anymore because I get plantar warts and sore ankles. I DO speed walk, and that's what I really miss when it's cold and snowy outside. I love going for long walks outside, with the sun shining, it's so perfect!
Right now I am reading "The Monster of Florence". It's a non-fiction murder mystery and it's really entertaining! It was a NYTimes best seller.
Post a Comment