Awesome

Today I worked with another reading group, but it was a little different. The kids are grouped according to their reading fluency and the lowest group contains mostly lower proficiency English speakers who receive pullout ESL services during the reading time. There was only one boy left in the group for me to work with. His nickname is going to be Rockstar. I have really taken a liking to Rockstar-with his bright blonde spiky hair and skinny jeans (yes...in third grade). He is one of those boys that is always playing with something, whether it is an eraser, a ruler, a pencil, a piece of paper, or a piece of dirt on his desk, he is easily distracted by "stuff." I have been working a lot to help him stay focused as his difficulties with attention co-mingle with his difficulties in reading. His reading fluency resembles that of a younger student who exerts so much effort to sound out/figure out the words that comprehension suffers as a result.

I was excited to get the chance to work with him 1:1. I basically did the same lesson I did yesterday in the other classroom preparing him to read with some pre-reading activities. Given his skill set, and his love of drawing, I decided to take the vocabulary preparation in a different direction. As soon as I told him he would have the chance to draw, he was much more eager to join me at the back table. I asked him if he knew the different between sketching and drawing and he really got the idea that sketching was supposed to be quick rather than detailed and time consuming. For each of the vocabulary words, we discussed the meaning and I asked Rockstar to use the words in sentences. Once he was confident that he understood the meaning, he got to do a quick sketch in his reading journal to remind him what the word means. He did an awesome job! His sketches were creative and he did a good job creating a quick picture rather than getting caught up in his love for drawing. He labeled each picture with the vocabulary word.

We then did a picture walk and made some predictions about the story. Rockstar was really observant of what was happening in the pictures and made some great predictions. He struggles a lot with spelling and writing, so I helped him by starting sentences and letting him fill in the rest and then repeating the sentence several times so he could write down his predictions as his teacher asked.

Later in the day, I helped him again with fact families. I showed him how to write the 3 numbers in a triangle with the biggest number at the top and then how it is easier to write the 4 number sentences from there. He caught on in a snap and did SO well. The best part was when the lunch bell rang and Rockstar said, "Aw, I want to do more!"

Once again, don't you love it???

P.S. We start German lessons tonight and I still haven't heard anything else about the job...

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Aw, thats so cute that he wanted to do more! Good for you!!!

Thanks so much for that fantastic idea about the kids foam rolling with me. That would be HILARIOUS. I just wonder what my principal would think if she walked in. I am going to have two now haha...

Also I have done both yoga and pilates before but I am not doing either now and I NEED to. I just have the hardest time finding good yoga. The only one I love is at a yoga place and it's $12 per time, ah!

Nicolasa said...

That is awesome that he wanted to do more! Too cute!

Have fun with your German lessons tonight! I can't wait to read about them!

Anonymous said...

That's is awesome. I love hearing about how teachers take the time to teach a child that fits his learning style and make into a fun activity they like to do!!

Sandy said...

That is awesome!
Thank you for sharing!

Jen said...

How neat that you were able to make a real connection with Rockstar and his love for drawing! Sometimes it's just getting to know our students that makes a difference!!

I went to a workshop today about guided reading and thought of you!! An idea discussed that helps kids learn sight words and get them up and moving was making a sight word trail!! I remember your writing about doing that with your first graders!! Such a neat idea!!

Sandy said...

Thanking for commenting to me on my blog.
I was thinking, right after I posted that request for time management tips, that I do need to set a time when I'm blogging!
I am glad that you do take some time to blog!