I feel like I have a lot of random thoughts today, so here they are:
- Today is the first day of fall term. Normally, that would be no big deal, but I am participating in fall term at Portland State University from Germany! (For my new bloggy friends who don't know the background, I am working on my doctorate, which I began in OR before we moved. My advisor is allowing me to continue from abroad via WEB courses and Independent study.)
- My first assignment for Global Literature is to select a children's book that is set outside of the U.S. and preferably not written my an American author. Any suggestions? I have to rely on the library at the international school, which is limited, but I would love to hear suggestions from my fellow teachers! I have to write a book report on the book and read a few chapters from my text.
- I have a skype date tomorrow night with my advisor to go over some more logistics about the courses I will be taking this term. I am so glad to finally have the chance to talk with him because emailing has proven difficult. Let's just say it takes him longer than I would like to get back to me with answers to my questions.
- I realized today how much I miss the daily hugs I used to receive from my first graders! (sigh!) I don't know if it's just the age difference/level of "grown-up-ness" between first graders and third graders, or the difference in SES status between my old school and my new school, or maybe it's the cultural difference of being outside the U.S., or maybe even the fact that I am not there at the end of the day when goodbyes are said, but the hugs are gone. When I used to take my first graders to the bus at the end of the day, I could count on lots of hugs and as much as being a teacher is about making the kids feel special, they sure made me feel special by showing me that I was important to them. I hope I did the same in return. The third graders are very sweet and polite, but less demonstrative with their affections. Writing this is making me miss one sweet little girl named Karla very much. If you remember the picture I posted from the last day of school, she was one of the girls that embraced me in a ginormous hug from the classroom all the way out to the bus. Aw, what the hay, it's a great picture, so I will post it again.

- Hopefully tomorrow I will get word about my interview for the SPED job. I asked one of the teachers today and she said she didn't know of anyone else who applied, but I think they want to interview anyway, since they did not interview me at all for the other opening I had applied for. I would LOVE to know for sure whether or not I can transition to a new position! P.S. I saw a flyer on the wall for a teaching workshop that is taking place in Switzerland about teaching students with different needs. I have this fantasy in which they will offer me the SPED job and then tell me they are sending me to Switzerland to attend the workshop....seriously, they actually sent one of the new teachers to a professional development course in Prague recently! Can you imagine???!!! Wouldn't that just be the craziest most awesome thing ever!
- I helped the third graders prepare for their presentation of healthy food choices during an assembly which took place this morning. Even though I was supposed to be working in the work room, when I heard them begin, I crept out into the hallway to watch over the balcony. They were so cute talking about their healthy choices and why each food/drink is good for their bodies.
That's all folks!

No comments:
Post a Comment