I heart my job!

So far my experience working at the international school has been pretty terrific. Since the students are now settled and have learned their routines and schedules, I am spending more time in the classroom helping small groups of students. I still do some copying and laminating, but those things are taken care of during prep periods. When the students learn German, their teachers get a prep time, so I do as well. During that time, I help with whatever is needed in the office area.

I am mostly working with kids who are struggling and that is exactly what I love to do. There is a young girl who is Chinese who barely speaks. I think she understands English well enough, but she is extremely quiet and does not say much at all. I can only imagine how overwhelming it is to be learning both English and German at the same time in addition to her native language. Some teachers would look at her and think "she can't..." or "she doesn't know..." but I approach her with the attitude that she knows a lot and can express that best in Chinese. I can't speak Chinese so I have to figure out the best way to make sure she understands what I am explaining in English. I truly have no idea what she knows and what she doesn't because she doesn't tell me, but it sure is fun to try and figure it out! It can be tough, especially because she doesn't give me verbal feedback, but I look forward to seeing her open up a bit and talk more when she feels comfortable to do so. I have been helping her with math in a group with a few other boys who are also not as proficient in English as the rest of the students. It is nice to have the opportunity to work with these students and not have to worry about the rest of the class. Although they are not as independent as the other students in the class, with help they are able to do a good job and complete their work. They are really sweet and try hard.

Being a TA is definitely different than being the classroom teacher, but I have to say this position has its perks. Working part time has been very nice. I am sure that when payday comes, I will wish I had more hours, but I have to say that it sure is nice to be home by 1:00. I get the opportunity to observe some great teaching and take note of aspects of their classrooms and their instruction styles that I like. I feel like I can observe the students more thoroughly because I get more time to do so when the teachers are explaining or teaching. It's also nice to know that the teachers I am working with respect my opinions and give me the freedom to carry out activities as I like rather than giving me the blow by blow of how to conduct an activity or help struggling students.

Of course I would love to get the full time maternity leave position in first grade, but for now, I am really enjoying the chance to experience a different part of education.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I LOVE your attitude and I am so glad you are enjoying your new job! Your job sounds very similar to my old job as a SPED inclusion teacher! After mourning the loss of not having my own class, I too LOVED being able to work with small groups of students and also getting the opportunity to learn from my cooperating teachers! I hope you get that first grade class! Those students would be SO lucky to have you as their teacher!

Speaking of students that don't speak English, we have a little girl new to our school this year that only speaks French! We were just talking today how frustrating it must be for her to not be able to communicate with anyone!! We do have one teacher that speaks a little French but still not the same as being fluent in the language!! I can't wait to continue to hear about your experiences as a teacher in Germany!! So neat!

ELL Forever said...

So glad to hear you are enjoying your TA job. This is my first year to be an ELL teacher after being a TA for the past 6 years :) Love that experience you are having with the Chinese girl. Pictures, picttures! That's my advice they can do wonders. I'm sure you know, but just in case; short simple well patterned sentences are key when talking to children who speak multiple lang. Sounds like you're doing great!!