If someone described my classroom as structured, I would take that as a big compliment. I think structure implies organization, good classroom management, and control. I've always believed that kids do really well with "structure."
This article indicates that too much structure actually hinders children.
"Structured time could slow the development of self-directed control, since adults in such scenarios can provide external cues and reminders about what should happen, and when,"
"The ability to self-direct can spell the difference between an independent student, who can be relied upon to get her work done while chaos reigns around her, and a dependent, aimless student," former teacher Jessica Lahey writes in The Atlantic. "When we reduce the amount of free playtime in American preschools and kindergartens, our children stand to lose more than an opportunity to play house and cops and robbers."
![]() |
| http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-serious-need-for-play/ |
I still think that children do well with structure--structure in the sense of having routines in place, clear expectations, and boundaries. But once those things are in place, children need some wiggle room and freedom to make choices, explore, and be in control of their own learning. They don't necessarily need to be guided through everything.
I badly want to make that a reality in my classroom.
Yesterday's post brought about a few comments indicating that teachers know this, yet feel stuck because of expectations and mandates. We know that Kindergartners need time to play and explore and socialize, but those things are still lacking in many classrooms.
The Serious Need for Play states that, "Free, imaginative play is crucial for normal social, emotional and cognitive development. It makes us better adjusted, smarter and less stressed."
When I first moved into my classroom there was a play kitchen and lots of toy-like activities. I chose to remove them because I didn't feel as though those activities fit into my schedule. I felt too much pressure to spend time on academics and didn't want those things in the room "teasing" the kiddos if they would barely get used.
Now I kind of feel like the Grinch.
I do think that kids should be able to fulfill their need for free play at home, especially if they only attend Kindergarten for two hours in the morning, but I can see how too many highly structured activities during school time take away from other kinds of opportunities for learning that help children development important qualities and skills.
Do your students have free play at school?
What kinds of activities can children do in your classroom that encourage decision making, independence, or self-direction?
Do you think that outside recess time is sufficient free play?


4 comments:
Obviously I do not teach kindergarten but I can see how a half day program would hinder the ability to ability low free choices. We have full day K and one of my colleagues, who is amazing, is adamant that her kinders get 40 minutes of playtime in the classroom daily. I've watched it and it is amazing. I'm also not surprised to know her students do the best on the year end K assessments.
That should say ability TO ALLOW lol (I'm on my phone ;)
I teach full day K and we do have free choice built in for about 30-40 minutes a day. I think it is important for them to have this less "structured" time.
Amanda
I wish I could do it everyday like the above post, I only do it on Fridays. "Free Choice Friday Time". The kids live for Fridays!!!! On Fridys they can chose from housekeeping, blocks, Legos, painting, etc. it is a blast on Fridays!!!
Post a Comment