Education
Week recently brought up the topic of summer reading and how summer reading is
different for kids and for teachers.
The article stresses the importance of making sure that books are readily available for children, particularly in places where they get bored such as the car (probably not good advice if your child gets carsick though!). It also warns against rewarding children for reading because that gives them the implicit message that reading is not a fun and desirable activity.
Baby Sneaker (who I think I
officially cannot call "baby" anymore and who will heretofore be
referred to as "Little Sneaker" so that her baby sister can be
"Baby Sneaker") is participating in the summer reading program through
the library. She LOVES to read so we signed her up and she's been earning
stickers on her game board.
We just LOVE to read in our
house.
I like how the article
emphasizes that summer reading for kids/students should be enjoyable and they
should read books or other print sources that interest them. Reading for
pleasure is different than reading at school and reading for pleasure is
important. The International Reading Association just released a position
statement on the importance of leisure reading.
The EdWeek article also
discusses summer reading for teachers.
"Joshua Block reflects
on the critical importance
of summer reading for
educators—or at least for him: In order to challenge the inevitable
feelings of burnout and mechanization that I feel in June, I use summer to
immerse myself in books and open myself to unplanned discoveries, ideas, and
inspiration for the next school year. I aim to keep the list of books broad and
include many different titles. My hope is to challenge and nurture myself in
ways that relate directly to my teaching practice and in ways that nurture my
identity outside of teaching."
I already
posted about the teachery books I will be reading this summer and I still have
quite a lot of progress to make, but I am pretty confident I am going to find
some other books to add to my list of things I want to read on this cool Summer Reading page on Pinterest. There are a lot
of interesting books on there!
What's your summer reading style?
Do you read for pleasure or are you diving into
some good teachery texts?



1 comment:
I like to read a little bit of both. Typically I'll alternate between "fun reads" and "professional" reads. I'm off to I Teach K tomorrow and all my plane reading material is "fun reads" because I know by Thursday I'll be totally overwhelmed with professional information! :) Looking forward to lots of reading time on our flights!
Amanda
Post a Comment