Food for Thought



I shared earlier that this book is on my summer reading list


I haven't delved into it yet, but I'm excited to read it, particularly the chapter on Common Core. 

Here's an overview of the chapters:

1. What is developmentally appropriate practice?
2. Teaching in the Kindergarten Year
3. An Overview of Development in the Kindergarten Year
4. Developmentally Appropriate Examples to Consider
5. The Common Core State Standards and Developmentally Appropriate Practices: Creating a Relationship
6.Young Children Articles

You can find NAEYC's position statement on developmentally appropriate practice here. 

A few key points..

What is known about each child as an 
individual—referring to what practitioners 
learn about each child that has implications 
for how best to adapt and be responsive to 
that individual variation.

What is known about the social and 
cultural contexts in which children live—
referring to the values, expectations, and 
behavioral and linguistic conventions that 
shape children’s lives at home and in their 
communities that practitioners must strive to 
understand in order to ensure that learning 
experiences in the program or school are 
meaningful, relevant, and respectful for each 
child and family.

A teacher recently posted about developmentally appropriate practices (DAP) in my teacher group and asked if DAP have changed with time given our current expectations for students. 


My response was this: I think we've moved away from what is developmentally appropriate. Just because kids can handle it, that doesn't make it DAP. I don't think DAP changes with the changing demands, I think we need to check ourselves and think hard about what DAP means and includes.

What do you think...

Should students in Kindergarten be expected to read and write by the end of the year? 
Are these expectations too high or are they appropriate since many students rise to the challenge?

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Our district keeps pushing expectations further down; now, the PreK students learn sight words (and are assessed) and the PreK classrooms are also required to use Blackboard Configuration practices.

I teach Kindergarten. Although Preschool is free in the district, most of our students have not attended any type of school before walking into the K rooms. There isn't a place for "play" in the schedule. We have a 10 minute recess. Yet this population is in need of learning appropriate ways to interact with one another, time to explore materials, opportunities to practice procedures without rushing.

I think your question pushed a hot button for me, lol! The requirements for how I must present info in the classroom are often in conflict with what I know to be best practice for a 5 yr-old child.
*sigh*

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Sigh... I don't know :(
I struggle with this question all the time. My kids can read and write at the end of K and most enter K ready for this. I know my town is not the norm because even though it has some major diversity, the one thing most families have in common is a big focus on their child's education. So I know that my experience doesn't necessarily mean all kids are ready for it. And, just because they are ready- does that mean we really need to do this...? Probably not.

That being said, I really like the curriculum of K at the moment. I like teaching kids how to read so, I'd leave K if we actually made it DA. I try really hard to keep it fun, but I don't always succeed I will admit!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Oh, and I should add- I have a lot of freedom in my day. Since my test scores continue to come back well and my kids get where they need to be according to the district, I am left alone as far as my schedule. My kids get at least 2 recesses a day for about 30 minutes each and have a 30-45 minute play time every single day, plus a separate 15 minute snack/chat time. So I try to balance my high expectations with realistic ones... everyone needs a break and play time is very important!
Again, I know I'm very lucky and I hope I can maintain this schedule for as long as possible.

HeidiSongs said...

What a great article! Loved it. Most of us are now stuck between a rock and a hard place though.., we don't get to choose what we teach or even how we teach it. So sad...
Heidi