Moving

This year I am moving to a classroom at the opposite end of the building that has been my home for the past four years. Moving a classroom is kind of like moving a small apartment, but I consider myself lucky that this is the first move I've had since returning from Germany. 

The setup of my new classroom is different from the previous one, so I am in the process of deciding where everything will go. I am kind of excited because I like to keep things fresh and rearrange every year anyway. Tomorrow Little Sneaker is going to daycare to see her friends, so Baby Sneaker and I will head over to my school to do some initial furniture arranging. 

Last week I stopped by school to meet the new principal and I snapped a few quick (and somewhat blurry) pics of my new room. 


This is the only area  of the room that I have a vision for so far. To the right of the chalkboard (yes, that's a CHALKboard), I plan to have my carpet area. The alphabet and word wall will go along the right wall (the only wall long enough to fit all the letter cards) and the wall directly next to the chalkboard will have my reading focus wall and any info pertaining to our reading program/themes etc. I was told that the chalkboard is being replaced with a whiteboard before school starts, but I just don't get why a chalkboard has lasted this long! 


I am really excited that our amazing custodian found enough circles tables for me this year. I have had huge rectangular ones before and they are just so BIG. I think the circle ones will make it easier to maneuver around amongst the kiddos when they are working and I also think the plastic magazine bins I use for their iPads will fit more nicely on the round tables. Their buckets will almost function as dividers between students who share the table.  I will probably use the bookshelves to section off the carpet area from my desk area and I'll keep my desk over by the window.


I'm not sure what I will do with the wall in between the cabinets. Maybe that will be a good place to display student work or for our family tree. I will probably put some rectangular tables back there for small group time and for a spot where parents can work if they come to help out. 

Tomorrow I am hoping to get the carpet and tables set up where I want them jus to see how everything looks. I have a second carpet which is an oval and I'm not sure where I will put that. I like to use that carpet for story time and sometimes math when I don't assign seats, but I can't really picture where it will fit in this new room. 

I will post some "after" pics once I am done tomorrow. 

What is your favorite part about starting a new school year? 
Do you start fresh each year or keep things the same as you've done them in the past? 

2 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Yay, I love your new classroom!
I still have a chalkboard in my room too and I doubt it will ever be replaced! I cover it with fabric and put up the schedule and other things using magnets.

I used to do a lot of rearranging every year but now I mostly have a system and don't like to spend much time on it in the summer :)

HeidiSongs said...

I love seeing before and after photos of classroom set up! Thank you for sharing, and good luck at your new school!