I just realized that right around this time last summer, I was getting ready to leave my husband.
Well, not like that!
I was getting ready to return to Portland for the school year, while he stayed behind in Germany.
I am so glad that is over.
Thinking back, I can remembering practically bursting into tears every time I even thought about being apart from Mr. Sneaker for 10 months. Not to mention I was getting ready to start teaching at a new school in a new grade level--Kindergarten, which added to the fear/uncertainty/worry of being away from my man.
What I didn't know was that...
Living with Janine would create a special friendship that I am very thankful for.
Being apart from Mr. Sneaker would actually bring us closer together as a couple.
Teaching Kindergarten is actually quite awesome.
I would complete my first half marathon.
and
I would fall totally in love with a dog (given my tendency to not really like dogs all that much).
Don't get me wrong...it was a hell of a crazy year with lots of husband missing, paper writing, stressing, and working what felt like all the time, but following with the theme of this summer, time felt like it was on continual fast forward (and not just the one arrow fast forward, I'm talking the super speediest three arrow fast forward!).
When I think about what I did--what Mr. Sneaker and I did--I think we must have been crazy. Yet, I don't regret it. It was such a productive year that meant the difference between moving back to Portland in a few weeks and having a classroom and a job to return to and being out of work. Had I not returned and kept my place in the district, I guarantee I would not be able to find a job upon returning because they are very scarce. It meant the difference between being DONE with my core defense/year 2 of classes and just starting those classes this fall. Can I get a woot woot for being done with those classes?! If I hadn't gone back, I never would have gotten to know and work with Mrs. Bee (and that would be tragic!).
I am so happy that this year, although once again I am preparing to move back to Portland, Mr. Sneaker is coming along this time! It requires a lot more effort on the moving front, major furniture and life possession moving compared to just packing my own clothing to bring along, but I am so excited to re-establish a life in the US with my husband. Our house is still being rented and the tenants' lease goes until April, so we will probably not move back in until the school year is out (moving mid-year just doesn't sound fun). That means we are going to get an apartment in a fun area for the meantime and enjoy a new area.
Before we choose our new place, we will have temporary housing, and we just found out that one of the choices is the building Janine moved into a few weeks ago. I couldn't be happier that she and I (and Bailey!) will get to be neighbors for a few months. Her building has a fitness center and a really nice movie room with a movie theater seats and a huge screen that you can hang out in or reserve if you want to have friends over. It also has great views from the rooftop, so Mr. Sneaker and I are excited. He already has some travel back to Germany on his schedule in early September, so I see some major girl time in with Janine and our other friend Jill in the future. I can't wait to reunite with my girlies!
I feel like my life has involved moving every 9 months to a year since I started college. The task of selling furniture has come again. The pressure to eat all the non perishables that have accumulated in our pantry is back. I told Mr. Sneaker that tonight he will have a choice of boxed mac and cheese, canned chili, or frozen pizza. But, soon enough, our little European adventure will be over, so despite the stresses of once again having to move, it's probably better just to soak it in while I still can.
P.S. We leave for Barcelona tomorrow!

2 comments:
I give you a lot of credit. I was actually thinking of you the other day because I was whining to my friend about my husband being gone for 3 weeks (we're on the tail end of week 2 right now)...and I remembered you being apart from Mr. Sneaker for a whole school year. Kudos to you because I am not sure how I would deal with that (of course I have kidlets too so that makes it different).
Good luck with all of the transitioning!
I can't imagine my life without you dear friend!! I am so thankful you came back when you did! All things happen for a reason :) xoxo
Post a Comment