Getting Your Application On

I decided that I should go ahead and make myself a profile/resume on EdZapp. I would gladly teach Kinder and after giving it a lot of thought, I do really think I would enjoy it. On the other hand, I also think if  a position opened up at my old school and I was not prepared to properly apply for it, I would be really disappointed. I spoke yesterday about wanting new opportunities and challenges in order to continue improving my teaching skills and I am not going back on that, however, my old school is like my second home and the staff is like extended family. Since my husband and I will be apart next year, I think it would be great to be able to go back to a working environment and to a staff that I already know. I would be excited to get to meet a new staff, but I would be even more excited to return to the staff I already know and love. It's not as if I am only wanting to go back and teach First Grade again, perhaps another grade level will open up at that school which would be the best of both worlds!

The process of putting my info on EdZapp was not as difficult as I thought. Basically you input your general information like address and contact information and then you complete a resume section including education, educational work experience, other work experience, references, skills, hobbies/awards, and job preferences. You can also choose particular districts which then directs you towards that district's particular application requirements which often includes some longer "essay question" type business. Because (I think) I am technically already an employee of the district (just on leave) I don't think I have to answer the essay questions. The rest of the work was just a matter of inputting all of my experiences etc.

Getting back in the application groove made me realize the importance of keeping good records of pertinent materials and being organized (especially when relocating). Since I graduated, I have maintained my a portfolio of all of the important documents needed for application processes. I have relied heavily on this portfolio in applying to teaching positions as well as applying to university programs for both my masters and doctoral programs.


The portfolio has clear plastic sleeves, so I can easily protect documents without punching holes in them. Inside I have:
  • Teaching licenses (including additional papers outlining steps for renewal)
  • Letter indicating I am a highly qualified teacher
  • Documents stating that I do not have a criminal history and that my background has been checked
  • Fingerprint clearance letter
  • All of my Praxis examination score sheets
  • State teacher examination score sheet (ORELA in OR)
  • Copies of my unofficial transcripts (printed off the web)
  • Copies of my official transcripts in sealed envelopes from all of the universities I have attended (both undergrad and grad)
  • Letters of recommendation in chronological order from when I student taught up until now)
  • Certificates of membership in various academic honors societies
  • Other professional certificates or professional development vouchers
  • Observation reports from various supervisors
  • Memorable letters & cards from parents/students
  • Yearly class photos of my students
When I applied for my doctoral program, I actually did so on quite short notice.  If I had not already had copies of my official transcripts and such, I would not have been able to get the necessary materials together in time. Also, with the current scarcity of teaching jobs, it is really important for teacher candidates to have all of these materials in proper order so that they can proceed with an application as soon as a job is posted. When I was putting my info on EdZapp, I referred to information in this portfolio several times and it was great to know that it is all in once place. Since we move quite a bit (PA to OR, twice within OR, then to Germany), keeping my materials in one place was very important because I always know where that portfolio is!


If you are currently student teaching or are seeking out jobs for next school year, I highly recommend putting together a portfolio because being organized will be extremely helping in the application process! My biggest recommendation is to keep everything, keep it organized and keep it in one place!

Have a great Sunday!

3 comments:

Ms. G said...

I wish you lots of luck on finding a new position at your old school. I am sure it will all work out. I, also, keep a portfolio and it has sure helped me with the job search process.

Kelly said...

I think you are right about feeling comfortable at your old school- and that may be something you need when you are away from your husband.
Btw- I didn't know you were going to have to go back to Germany. Is your husband in Germany forever?

Also, I do think you would love kindergarten once you started it. It has really grown on me. However, I think you need your environment around you to be great, so if something opens at your old school you should obviously go for it. I love the portfolio by the way, applying for a job definitely takes some serious organization!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Okay, not that I shouldn't have researched this beforehand, but since I had never been to that website, I decided to fill out that application for myself. Well, it turns out that Illinois doesn't even use that system!

I wish you lots of luck. You seem like a fabulous teacher--one I wished I would've taught with on my team!