10 Years!

I just found out that some people from my high school class are putting together a 10 year reunion. Although I don't get home to CT that much, I am going for a week this summer and possibly at Thanksgiving to see my new niece or nephew who will be born in early September. Coincidentally, Thanksgiving time and summer are the two options for when this party will take place.

I am torn.

I honestly don't know if I would really want to go.

I feel like I keep in touch with the people I cared about the most and the glory of facebook allows me to be nosy see pictures and information about what everyone is up to. My personal opinion is that facebook makes a reunion somewhat obsolete because I kind of already know what people do for a living, what they look like, whether they are married and have kids etc. People post so much online that I don't even know if there is anything left for them to reveal in the world of small talk.

Have you seen the movie Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion? So funny! I am not wanting to convince people that I really am cool nor am I trying win back an unrequited high school love. Definitely not.

My husband would not be able to come for either time because he will be with me only shortly in CT this summer and even if I go back for Thanksgiving, I will be coming from Portland and he would not come because he will be in Germany and will not have time off from work for that holiday. I would definitely want him to be there because getting married is one of the exciting things that has happened to be between graduating and now. Would I just bring his picture on a popsicle stick and introduce everyone to his photo?

I doubt that the date of the event will coincide with my summer trip because most likely it will take place on a weekend and we are attending a wedding on the only weekend I will be there which also happens to be 4th of July weekend. If it worked out that I was in town, I would go, but I kind of feel weird about it.

I am really happy with everything I have done since high school.

I graduated college. Moved to Oregon. Got married. Became a teacher. Got my master's. Became an Aunt! Moved to Germany. Started working towards my doctorate. No kiddos yet, but life has provided me with lots of happiness and great opportunities in the past ten years. I just don't really know how much I like reunions. The five year was okay, but I felt like I had the same conversation over and over.

What do think?

Have you gone to any high school reunions yet? If so, how was it?
Should I make sure I am there or skip it and see the pics on facebook?
Who would you most want to reconnect with from your past (or does facebook take care of that?)

9 comments:

Beth P. said...

My 10 year reunion will be this year as well. I am not going, I already know this, because I already keep up with the people I want to. I don't feel like I need to go "check-in" with everyone else anymore. High school is not something I'm interested in revisiting!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

I'm in the same boat as you two. I'm not going and mine is in May. I keep up with people I want to and it's so true... facebook allows me to (lurk) check in just as I would've done in person. Plus, our class president started a FB group and asks random questions daily like, "Are you married/divorced?" -- so I find these things out and don't have to ask anyone!

Technology is our reunion. Moving forward... now!

itsawrap said...

I have no desire to go to mine next year. Anybody I still want to keep in touch with I do via email, FB, or phone. I'm proud of my accomplishments and that's all I need.

Julianne Hendrickson said...

ugh, unfortunately i have NO desire to see my high school "friends." I haven't talked to any of them since graduation!

Anonymous said...

Katie I had no idea your sister is law is pregnant again!! That is so exciting! I can't wait for you to come back!!
I have always thought I would forgo my 10 year reunion but maybe make it to my 20th. If you are unsure maybe wait another 10....
If I did go to mine 10 year I would love to see my friend Athena Walters. I haven't seen her since the summer we graduated.

Kelly said...

So I was feeling a bit like you before my 5 year reunion. My friend and I decided we would go to dinner before and just stop by for two hours or so, so we wouldn't be stuck there but we'd just see how everyone is really quick haha. It ended up being a LOT more fun than I expected. Actually a LOT of my actual friends from high school that I do keep in touch with couldn't go, but it ended up being nice to see a lot of people, especially guy friends I had that I don't do an awesome job keeping in touch with. It was kind of fun to have a drink with them and just catch up on life. Sometimes if you really were friends with someone you can get a little more than just their facebook info out of them :)
I was a bit nervous before we go there, its definitely an event where you need a glass of wine first. If my friends go to my 10 year i'll prob go with them and probably bring Eric.
Obviously you should do what you want, but I think you are right to go if you are in CT, but if not, oh well!

teacherwoman said...

I did NOT go to my 10 year reunion this past summer. It was the same weekend as my grandparents 60th wedding annivesary and I just wasn't that excited for it. I graduated in a class of 503 and am not really friends with anyone from my class anymore!

Nicolasa said...

At first it sounds fun, but I think it would just be awkward... I don't know. I have never been one and mine won't be for two more years... we'll have to see how I feel then!

I am interested in what you decide.

blossomteacher said...

I was the type who swore I'd never go to my reunion, and then I ended up helping plan the durn thing. As someone said, it was a lot of fun seeing a lot of guy friends who aren't online, and seeing how much we had and hadn't changed.