A little more on Ophelia

Yesterday I posted about the book I was reading called Reviving Ophelia. I finished it today while I was waiting for the phone guy to come at our new place. Lately, I sit there in the empty room that will be my office and read for hours waiting for all these apts. They give such large windows of time and since I don't live there yet, I have to make a special effort to be there and I definitely need some quality reading material to keep me busy during all that waiting.

Anyway....towards the end of the book, the author listed this set of questions that she has her patients respond to as a way of getting to know their "authentic selves." She recommends they write the answers in a journal, or at the very least think about how they would respond, but I am going one step further....posting them on my blog!

It kind of reminds me of some "notes" I have done on facebook which have a list of questions that you respond to and then you pass it to several friends to see what they will say. If you are reading this, TAG! You're it. Try it out. If you are not comfortable to post it then just do it for yourself. If you are going to be a brave soul and post your thoughts, leave me a comment so I can check it out on your blog!

1.How do I feel right now?
Content with life in general. Anxious about some other stuff.

2. What do I think?
I am thinking about how I can be a little more outgoing in social situations and enjoy them more. I feel like my shyness/difficulty making small talk is taking its toll.

3.What do I value?
family, education, trust, sincerity, loyalty, friendship, tradition & hard work

4. How would I describe myself to myself.
smart, organized, shy, hardworking, and dedicated, but I often come across as bitchy because I don't say a lot in certain situations. I feel like I am an old soul and enjoy things that may not be the "coolest" or most popular among people my own age. Sometimes I would rather stay home and watch a movie or read a book than go out and have drinks in a large group, but I am okay with that.

5. How do I see myself in the future?
I see myself having two children, married to John, and teaching. In the future, I would like to teach at the college level in a teacher prep program.

6. What kind of work do I like?
I like to work with kids and I also like organizational work or doing things that allow me to be creative.

7. What kind of leisure do I like?
I love to read, workout, blog, write, shop, cook, bake, & be outdoors

8. When do I feel most myself?
I feel most like myself when I am with very close friends or my mom (who is a very close friend too). I do not think that I make friends easily, but to me, the quality is more important than the quantity. I am a Cancer so I also like to be at home.

9. What kinds of people do I respect?
I woud have to say that I have a great respect for hardworking people, people who have strong family values, and people who are open to differences.

10.What goals do I have for myself as a person?
To be more independent, to obtain my doctorate so I can make a different in education, to put myself in other peoples' shoes more so than I currently do, to follow the golden rule, and to be a good mother.

11.What are my strengths/weaknesses?
Strengths: very determined, intelligent, organized, thoughtful
Weaknesses: adapting to new situations, figuring things out on my own, tendency to overreact, conflicts

12. What would I be proud of on my deathbed?
Having a successful marriage and knowing that my husband always knew he was loved
Creating a family and seeing my children become successful (according to their own definitions)
Having written a children's book
Knowing that I affected the lives of children through being a teacher
Knowing that I experienced life and didn't shy away from opportunities in order to keep within my comfort zone

Now it's your turn! At least think about how you would answer. You might learn something about yourself!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love that :)
#1- I totally would prefer hanging out with a small group and often like to be at home too. The more open I am about the more I feel like most other people agree and its just the really loud people who talk about doing "cool" things all the time.
#2- I think the fact that you agreed to pick up and move to a totally new country with no one you know means you aren't TOO terrible at adapting to new situations!

Tom Roth said...

I love reading your blog - you always try to find a positive out of each situation.
Questions and Answers:
1. How do I feel?
Strangely - pretty content. My home life is drama city - as my wife and son are quite sick and I worry about them each and every day.
2. What do I think?
I think about books. I get lost in them and wake up the next morning wondering if what is happening is real - why isn't it on the news?
3. What do I value?
Family, relationship with God, my BFF (my dog Belle)
4. How would I describe Myself to myself?
Shy, socially a total misfit, intelligent, lover of books, and me love me some Lakers Basketball.
5. How do I see myself in the future?
Old! Still cracking jokes that strangely find me as the only person laughing.
6. What kind of work do I like?
I love when the students and I "find a flow" that feeling when you lose track of time and space and are just in the moment - like when reading and you look up and 30+ minutes have flown by.
7.What Kind of leisure do I like?
Being the nerd I am = I love to read. All kinds of books from fiction (all genres) to non-fiction, to blogs, etc. I also am TRYING to learn to play guitar - I am horrible, but staying with it. Lastly, I love to watch me some Laker Basketball.
8.When do I feel most myself?
Two fold = at home relaxing with my family. Also at school with the kids and we are having a regular discussion - no curriculum pressure, no standards, just kids wanting to share about their lives.
9. What Kind of People do I respect?
Honest, Hard working, empathetic, kind and humorous.
10. What Goals do I have for myself as a person?
Even though the Ministry of Misinformation is in constant control and always watching - I hope to do what is right for the kids anyway. To fight the good fight, while remembering I need not attentd every battle that I am invited to.
11. What are my strengths and weaknesses?
In school they are one and the same = Fighting for the children. Testing is set up to make adults (parents, teachers, administrators) happy - it has no true value for the kids. I thrive in situations where a skilled teacher is needed to instruct in math or reading or writing etc. I struggle to show any enthusiasm for canned district bought programs. I believe that no one remembers a "program" that turned their lives around, but everyone can remember a teacher that had a powerful impact.
12. What would I be proud of on my death bed?
Knowing that I truly loved and cared for my wife and family. Hopefully, that I tried to help those in need. Lastly, comfort in knowing I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Hopefully, having made a positive impact on the lives of others!