Have you heard of Skype? It's a way to make free calls using the internet and it also has a video function so that you can see the person/people you are talking to. Since moving to Germany, I have barely touched my cell phone. We did go to the T-Mobile store and get a new SIM card for my phone so I have a local number, but I don't really have anyone local to call. I have mostly been using Skype to keep in touch with my family and friends. I can't tell you how much I love it!
We usually make several calls on Sundays because for us here in Germany, there is not a whole lot to do on Sundays and when calling family on the West Coast, the time difference is so large (9 hours) that it is really hard to connect during the work week. Yesterday I talked to my mom and my dad and I absolutely love that I can see their faces when we talk. If my mom gets a new haircut, I can see it! If I want to show her a few wardrobe choices, she can watch my virtual fashion show! When her kitties are in her office, I can see them and hear them too! It's so fun!
Despite the distance, I actually feel like we can stay better connected while we are here than we did in Portland because of the videos. I am really looking forward to Skyping with my brother, his wife, and my niece because it will be so fun to see her in action. They can point the camera right towards her and I can watch her crawl!
My husband also put some money on the account and I can use my computer to call my mom's actual phone and the rate is only 2 cents a minute. That way, if she has things to get done around the house, we can chat while she is on the go. I still have to be at my computer, but that is fine with me.
If you have loved ones that live far away, I highly recommend skyping as a way to stay in touch. Although it was not well received for use to help me take my doctoral classes, I am definitely loving it for other reasons.

3 comments:
I love Skype too! It is so convenient and it actually does what it says it is going to do with no annoying extra fees.
I have never used Skype but hear its wonderful!
We -love- skype. Also use the video funcion and my two little boys get to see their grandma and grandpa in California about once a week. And of course the best part is that it is free. I also have a bit of money on the account so I can call landlines
Post a Comment