President Obama Will Talk to Students

Have you heard that President Obama is going to deliver a national address directed towards students on September 8th at noon ET? I read that principals were strongly encouraged to let students view the speech live during school and that schools were also supplied with "lesson plans" containing ideas/suggestions of activities and questions to ask in preparation for, during, and after the speech.

Teachers, did you actually get these documents?

I have read that some parents and teachers are upset by this impending talk. Some parents are viewing this as an attempt on the part of President Obama to brainwash the youth of our country. Considering the topic of his speech is to encourage students to work hard, set goals for themselves, and to take responsibility for their learning, I am uncertain of why they are taking this stance against his speech. I don't understand how this could be viewed as brainwashing or negative for children and youth. There are lots of things that negatively affect the ideals and opinions of today's youth such as the unrealistic images in the media, the grandiose lives of professional athletes/actors/performers, and violence in the media and video games, yet I would hardly agree that the president speaking about the importance of education would fall into the same category.

Anybody with me?!

I can see how teachers might view receiving these "lesson ideas" as insulting, because it somewhat negates their skills as qualified teachers to carryout a meaningful lesson, however I would tend to view them simply as suggestions/ideas with the understanding that I am free to teach my students in the way that I see fit. If I were teaching in the U.S. right now and my school chose to let the student body view this speech (which would not happen because the kids won't be back in school until the 9th), I would take a look at the handout of suggestions and proceed with what I felt was best for my particular students.

For those of you who are going to watch this speech with your students, are you using the plans that were provided? Was it "recommended" that you use them or is it required? I am really curious to know more about this!

What is your opinion? Do you think it's a good thing that President Obama is addressing education with those who are actually receiving it? Do you think his address is in some way inappropriate or sending a negative message to our youth?

Comments Please!!!

To read more about the President's speech click here.

12 comments:

Shana Putnam said...

I have a comment. The fact that he is "requesting/requiring" to be watched in schools without parent's permission and parent's presence is wrong. You may like him but many do not and many do not hold the same liberal views as he does. I know if they were going to air it and my child went to school he would be staying home with me that day. That is al we need, to fill our kid's heads full of Obama's grandiose attitude and propaganda for his party and presidency. No thank you, I get enough of him every day on the news. I can't wait till he is out. not trying to be rude just tired of him being everywhere and into everything. You really should research into some things he is planning.

Crystal said...

I am a teacher and I will show the Presidents address. It is history, I teach history. However we are giving the option to not watch the video. If the student does not want to he/she will be allowed to go into a different room. I am not an Obama supporter. I am not sure if our country is headed in the right direction. I always explain that people have diffrent beliefs and views. I let them know that yes we will talk about the subject but we don't have to agree always with it.

a49erfangirl said...

I don't see the harm in his mentions of telling children that education is important. Whether one likes him or not I think his heart is in the right place and some kids may see him as a role model. I know their is controversy over this but I don't know or understand what it all is. I don't know if the school my kids are going to are watching it or not. Like Crystal said I don't know if we are headed in the right direction or not. I do know that he has a HUGE mess to clean up or work on cleaning up with the economy. I don't agree with everything Obama does or says but I do think that education is important to kids.

Ms. K said...

Since I am not yet a teacher, I can't comment on the lesson plans or the request/requirement of showing this speech in the classroom. When it comes to anything political, I expect that it will be met with some opposition, so I can understand both sides of this argument.
I am a bit of an optimist though. I would like to think that Obama's intentions with respects to the children are good, and that the goal of the speech is to encourage children and initiate excitement about the school year, which is a good thing. I guess I don't view this as political propaganda aimed at children but rather a motivational speech. I could be wrong, but I hope not, I would really hate for children to get put in the middle of politics. Imagine how confusing it must be for them already, with all the controversy involving this Presidency.

Chris256 said...

I do not see why people are making such a big deal over Obama's speach. I have nothing against any teacher who wants to show it during an English or History class (or any other class if there is time to deviate from the curriculum).

The lesson plan could be helpful to new teachers. No one is making anyone use it. It is just a suggestion on how to use it in a classroom.

Some of these people need to take a pill and relax.

If students are interested in what Obama says let them hear it (otherwise, they can hit utube or some other website), while others who are not interested will probably not pay attention/remember anything from it.

Unknown said...

I was so excited when I first heard about President Obama's speech for students. Then the emails and calls to our school started to come in. Many parents do not want their child to watch a speech they had not had the option of previewing. It's funny though how they felt the need to include at the end of each email and conversation that it's nothing personal against the President, that they really do support him. Yeah, sure. Today our district sent out a consent form for all students. They decided that we will not watch it live. Rather they will tape it for us and provide us with a copy to show either before or after school the day after his address. I think it is such a shame that we cannot get our students involved, this opportunity lends itself to such powerful lessons and unfortunately some of them will not be given permission to be part of that.

Courtney said...

We were given the choice as to whether or not to show it, but were encouraged to send a note home to parents. I have been fielding parent calls on this today. I will not be showing it to my students. I feel this is something a parent should watch with their child.

RunnerGirl said...

We had to send a letter home to parents about the airing and they have the choice of opting out and requesting that their child not watch it. We've also been strictly instructed NOT to comment, teach, or provide any discussion about whatever is said. If students ask a question, we have to tell them to "speak with their parents" about it. IThe fact that this is a huge controversy is amazing to me. Whether or not you agree with Obama's politics, he's still our President and how wrong can it be for kids to hear about the importance of education? Where is the propaganda in that?

Julianne Hendrickson said...

I was just speaking to my husband about this. My school will not be showing it as we are private and this is a public matter. Children are encouraged to watch it at home if their parent finds it appropriate. If his intentions are to talk to children about setting goals, educational success, and other topics -that is great! I think that the President should become more of a "person" to children, instead of a celebrity. He is our leader. I think something I personally try to stick to is that God placed him in that position, not you or I. He is there for a reason and our job is to support and pray for him, not to outwardly condemn him. I don't know about you all, but I sure don't want that job, and he did and he works hard every day to make our lives better. Whether or not you agree with all of his opinions, we as Christians are called to support him.

bettyb said...

We encourage students to think for themselves. Why not view the speech and discuss it kind of like the newscasters do? Of course, this lesson would be for older students (fifth grade and up). Personally, I think letting students view the speech and then form their own opinions is important.

ELL Forever said...

I am not a parent. I am a teacher. What I have heard from parents who oppose watching the address is the bias it implies. There are very strong feelings about this. As a teacher, I'd rather respect parents rights and leave this up to them to show or not to their children. I know I can use this historic event within a lesson context, since he's the first President to address the Students like this. I think that's great and important. However, I'm sure there are many other ways that Presidents have commuicated, encouraged and supported students that haven't been as publicized or talked about. I guess first times are always big and that's why this' been such a concern for many.

Kristin said...

Okay, I understand that everyone has personal opinions regarding this issue...I do not believe that there is "propaganda" as some believe. Here is the link to the actual approved speech being spoken by the president tomorrow: http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/
No propaganda, only the message to try your hardest in school for your future dreams. I do not believe it is a request/require situation, I have read that it has been left up to parents in many schools to opt their child out of the speech if they so choose. These are my opinions yes, but this is from what I read when I researched it.