Yesterday was the first day of school for German children. I am working at an international school, so our schedule is different than the typical German school schedule and more like the schedule I experienced in the U.S. School began Aug. 24th and the last day is June 25th.
I could tell something was going on because on the typically empty streets that I walk on my way to work, I saw several families and children carrying enormous cones. I was a bit confused, but found out that they are a special German tradition for children on the first day of school.
I found out that these cones are called Schultütes which means school cones. They are traditionally given by parents or grandparents to students in Germany on their first day of school. These cones are filled with all sorts of treats, yummy sweets and school supplies.


I saw some pretty interesting designs on my way to work yesterday. These are typically hand made for children and are decorated according to what they like. I saw one with dolphins on it, cutout letters spelling the child's name, and various other decorations. I can only imagine how exciting it is to open a Schultüte on the first day of school knowing it was made especially for you! Children then proudly carry their Schultütes with them to school (and surely show them off to their friends).
Even though I don't have kids yet, this might be a fun tradition to start to honor our time in Germany. It could also be a fun first day of school activity. I can imagine having the kids make and decorate their own and then placing some fun treats or school supplies inside when they are at lunch so they could return to find some surprises!

4 comments:
that is a cute idea!
This are the godlen nuggets I am so eager to learn. Thanks so much for sharing all these great experiences an cultural traditions. You are an awesome blogger!!
Sorry, ThEse are the goLden :)
Jen,
I thought you might want to read this post by a homeschooling mom who made these with her children this year.
Thank you again for your blog!
blogginbridget.blogspot.com/2009/09/1st-day-of-school.html.
Post a Comment