Thanks for all the comments on The Crying Game! I am glad to know that many other teachers react to crying the same way I do....by not giving it a lot of attention. I think we all wish we could be a little more sympathetic but it's that all too common issue of not being able to do it for one kid if you can't do it for all of the kids and the fear that if too much attention is given for crying that the crying will increase.
I actually had one very sweet student start crying because the girl across from her was crying and she felt so bad. I guess she thought I should have been helping the girl who was crying a bit more than I was, but I was really touched by how worried she was for her table mate.
I don't have much time to post today because we are on our way out the door, but stay tuned for a big Sneaker Teacher announcement this week!

2 comments:
Love you! Can't wait to hear the announcement! ;) I'm on the edge of my seat!!!
Oooh an announcement! I have a guess but I'm probably wrong :)
Kids are actually very cute in response to crying. My two special needs students were so cute last year one of them was crying and the other went and got her a tissue. Who said that kids with autism can't read social cues? haha.
Post a Comment