Well, now that I am seriously counting on these parents to come in weekly, I am really disappointed when they email (sometimes with really short notice) to say they can't make it.
I get that things come up and they get sick too. And, they are volunteering, so I should appreciate whatever I get whenever I get it, but now that I got myself organized enough to set aside things I need help with, it sucks to have to then do it myself when a parent can't make it in.
Is there such a thing as a parent volunteer sub list? I wouldn't want to ask the parent to find a sub, but I am thinking it would be nice if I had a few parents I could call in the event I get stuck without the help that I need. Hmmm...something to think about.
How do you organize your parent volunteers? What do they do for you?

5 comments:
This is hard. My first two years teaching K I had parent volunteers in for writing and I honestly did not like it at all. I rarely even got an e-mail, people would just not show up. Also, even though I trained them in what to do, they would constantly spell words for them, hang out only with their only child and his/her friends etc. It made me crazy! Now I only have parents in for special projects like "pumpkin math" or 100th day of school. I like that because I give them a specific table to sit at. On those days I do not give myself a table to sit at, so if someone doesn't show up I can fill in. However, with special projects parents rarely don't show up.
I also do a Secret Reader that the parents can volunteer for. I want them to feel included but it just didn't work for me to have it be a regular thing :)
Hi!! I also had similar issues as Kelly when I had volunteers in the past. I have been in my current Kindergarten position for 5 years, and when I first started, the other 2 K teachers had parents come in to help with small group rotations and writing workshop . . . so being new, I followed suit . . . and HATED it.
* Parents would miss their time OR come late after we already started or needed to start
* It would cause WWIII among the kids whose parents could never come
* The parents wouldn't help in the way I asked them to, or trained them to
* They would wind the kids up and make them un-ruley (sorry, sp?), etc
Soooo, to appease parents these days, I ALSO started a Friday Mystery Reader program. I have parents sign up to come and read on Fridays, and the VERY END of the day . . .like the last 10 minutes. Before them come, we will be all cleaned, kids will be packed up to go, and we'll meet on the carpet for a story. Then that parent can take their kid, and BOOM, its over.
I am also thinking of asking parents to come in and help with some of the copying, laminating, cutting etc.
Good luck!!!
~Stephanie
I really like the sub list idea! It wouldn't hurt to try that out and see if anyone is interested!! You never know if you'll find another Gaga or Nicole!!
In terms of supplies, if you haven't already, I would organize a list of all the supplies that you need. Send out a mass email or newsletter to parents explaining that you NEED these supplies. Without explaining the use, some of the supplies on your list might be disputable. So, under each item listed, I would recommend including an extremely brief statement of what you need it for. In the email/newsletter, politely emphasize that you cannot afford all the supplies yourself, and you NEED each parent to sign up to supply something. At your discretion. Send this email/newsletter after every certain interval. That is my suggestion for supplies.
As for volunteers, it sounds like you've already organized a list of all the duties and responsibilities that you need completed. I think that you should simply take what you can get and leave it at that. Hopefully, that is something that you can afford to do. I make this suggestion because I imagine that it is very distracting from your duties as a teacher to run around looking for volunteers (depending on exactly how much time you spend).
Also, I'm guessing that you have some volunteers that come on a regular basis. If so, they should be given a whole lot of appreciation. However, if they're coming to volunteer on a regular basis without you reminding them to, chances are that they just inherently want to help out. And, if you are going to spend your time organizing with volunteers, organize with the demonstrably committed ones. That sounds like it would be a better use of your time than continuously trying to ask other parents to volunteer that are more focused on/interested in other commitments.
I'm not sure how to help with your dilemma. I've only had one volunteer in my 7 years of teaching (and she wasn't even a parent of any of my kids!) and she was super committed and consistent. I kind of like your idea for a sub list! That just might work!
Post a Comment