Too cute

Yesterday I took a sick day to finish recovering from the yuck that was a second attack of strep throat that I was blessed with over the weekend. It felt really stressed to lose an entire weekend to being sick in bed this close to Christmas and my upcoming trip that I needed to take the day--enough said.

Today I was happy to be back with my kiddos although some terribly awful behaviors left me near tears and really frustrated. At one point today, the principal popped in, which she does often, in the midst of me attempting to dispel directions to a group of kids who were completely not listening to me--at all. I was really mortified and frustrated and near tears and sad and the list goes on. Thankfully she pops in often enough to know that I am a good teacher and that this incident was more due to my students completely losing all control than a lack of structure or teaching skills. I still internalize everything which resulted in me being so stressed and upset by said incident I could only stomach a piece of chocolate for lunch.

Anyway, enter my afternoon kiddos. They are the feelers, the artistic ones, the ones with personality...I heart my afternoon class. They asked me how my throat was and if I was feeling better...then my little friend Danny boy says to a student who was talking during morning work--"You have to listen to Mrs. Sneaker because she is really sick right here (and points to his neck). He didn't really know the exact specific location of where strep throat occurs, but he was very concerned about my throat.

Their behavior today was not stellar but if it wasn't for that class, I don't know how I would survive....I know for sure that the first day back after Winter break will be reminiscent of the first day of school for the morning class. I plan to reteach every routine and have those kiddos practice until they prove they actually do remember that there are rules in the classroom. This group can either be stellar or really awful and unfortunately, I missed their awesome behavior yesterday because they were great for Jill. Friday was not good and neither was today. I have been in really good contact with the parents of the three friends in particular who are really acting up and have had good conversations where I felt like we are on the same page and they are supporting my rules at home, yet the behavior in school still gets really bad. And when three are acting up at once, it makes it really hard to get much accomplished.

Winter break will be both much needed and appreciated! 3 more days until hubs!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I sooo feel your pain. Reading this post made me feel like it happens to the best of us. You will survive!

Gladys said...

I hope you feel better soon...and enjoy your break.

Formerly known as Frau said...

I hope you get better soon. I'm sure the kids are acting up due to the excitement of Christmas and the break! But I can only imagine your frustration especially when you feel like crap and also have your own excitement to contain! Hope today is a better day!

lovetwoteach said...

Feel better! As teachers, we run ourselves down for our kids and there is nothing left. A sick teacher is NOT good!

I do feel your pain in January. I always joke that there should be mandatory nap time the first day back and ariel sprayings of Prozac in the teacher's lounge. Keep up the fight. Those kido's are worth it!

Kristen
first-grade-teachers.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Ugh. Definitely reteach all those routines after Christmas break :). I love how some students get super protective of you when you're sick! Enjoy your time with your hubby!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I assume this happens in other grades too but I expect very little in K from Thanksgiving to Christmas, particularly this close to Christmas. I'm glad you have your afternoon class to remind you that you are a great teacher and kids are usually great too!