Success!

Today was the meeting that I planned for the Latino families in my two classes. I had moms and dads from 7 different families come and they stayed just about an hour talking with me. At first, it was a little awkward. I didn't plan an agenda and I didn't want to do a presentation or just talk to them. I wanted to hear from them and get them talking and sharing with me about what is going well and what I might be able to do to make their experience better. By the end of the hour, they were conversing and sharing and I thought it went really well. I don't know exactly how I sounded trying to pull it off in Spanish, but I was able to understand what they were saying and they said that when I communicate with them in Spanish, they are able to understand me (so I must be making some kind of sense!).

I tried to express to them why I wanted to have this meeting and basically it's because I want to make sure that I am supporting their having equal access to information about our Kindergarten program and I want them to feel comfortable enough with me to volunteer in the classroom, ask me questions when things don't make sense, or offer feedback/ideas/suggestions.

We talked about a lot of different things during the hour and I really  hope that they felt it was worth their time and a positive experience. Luckily two families were there that I have gotten to know a bit better through working with them on the PASS team, so I felt very supported and encouraged by them. All three of those parents are completely bilingual, so I felt better knowing that if I got stuck in trying to say something, I could ask for help.

I talked a bit about the literacy bags and had two parents ask me for permission slips which they signed and turned in. So far I have a little over half of each class signed up to participate, which is good, however I was hoping to get everyone involved. I decided to go the permission slip route because I want to make sure that families are taking responsibility since the items cost a LOT of money (which I thankfully got through donations) and in order to keep this process going all year, everybody needs to do their share of caring for the materials and returning them on time. I don't want to send bags home and never see them again. I have talked to my students each day this week about the importance of bringing a permission slip because if they don't, I won't send a bag home with them on Friday. I am guessing that some kids are going to get upset when they don't get one, but that is how it has to be.

I am exhausted after feeling a bit stressed over the parent meeting, so it's time for a little relaxation! Only one week until hubs is back in the US and 9 days until I see him!

3 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again- you are amazing for doing this.

I also think it's smart that you are doing permission slips because otherwise things will get lost. Hopefully some of the kids will pressure their parents next week after they see they don't get to take one :)

Raye said...

Permission slips is definitely the way to go...I have had kiddos in the past absolutely destroy things we got donated to us because I was naive and trusting. Not anymore. If they don't get a permission slip, they don't participate. Period.

Sarah said...

I'm glad it went well! I bet they really appreciated all the effort you went to in order to make them feel included :)

Have a great reunion with your husband!