I can't believe I didn't post all weekend! I had class on Saturday and then I went to a party with my roommate to celebrate her friend's birthday. The weather on Saturday was GORGEOUS...too bad I was inside most of the day. Sunday it rained a LOT which was also unfortunate because I participated in the Buddy Walk with one of my former students. It was still great to see her, but I wish we could have been outside in the sun instead of hovering under umbrellas and hoods. The Buddy Walk celebrates people with Down syndrome and the announcer mentioned that there were over 1300 people in attendance despite the rain. It was awesome!
I feel like life feels even busier since good TV is coming back this week and I start my weekly classes on Wednesday. I am going to have class both Wednesday and Thursdays which I think will make the weeks go by even faster than they already are! I can't believe I have been back in the U.S. for almost a month and a half already! Almost halfway through the first chunk of time without Mr. Sneaker.
In class this weekend, I found about some great speakers that are presenting at local workshops! Howard Gardner (Mr. Multiple Intelligences) is speaking locally on October 8th and we happen to have that day off from school so I signed up to attend. Sonja Nieto (the author of one of my textbooks on Multicultural Education) is also giving the Keynote Speech this coming weekend at a small conference. I am supposed to have a class to learn about all of the library resources, but her workshop is only $5 for students, so I may sign up anyway and try to attend some of the afternoon sessions. I also just found out that Mo Willems is going to be reading his new book at a somewhat local bookstore! I love his books, so I am thinking about going to see him next Monday too!
The kiddos have been doing okay, but boy are they chatty! My afternoon class is now down to 17 children, which is great, but the morning class feels really busy and less productive in comparison. I feel like it is such a struggle to get everything done! Tomorrow our ELD pullout begins which takes away any flexibility that I have had in my schedule since school started. It will be interesting to see what it's like to have fewer kids in each class and to see if I can get some small groups going while those kiddos are gone. I am not allowed to teach anything new, so my plan is to make that "play time" (with educational activities, of course) while I pull groups of 4 to reinforce literacy concepts, phonics etc. Tomorrow I am going to try and train the remaining kiddos who don't leave to work in stations. I hope that goes well!
Tomorrow I am hopefully going to meet up with a friend of mine who recently moved to Seattle because she will be in town on a business trip...I haven't seen her since my wedding three years ago, so I am looking forward to catching up. She recently got engaged and started working for Starbucks and it's been TOO long since we have chatted!
Life feels really busy right now!

2 comments:
I totally hear you on life being busy- I don't know where time is going. I think it's good though, for the most part.
Sounds like a good plan you have for when a bunch of your kids are pulled. The other kids will be excited to have some play time!
I agree on the busy part! Just when I think I am caught up, something else comes down the pike and I realize I have 4-6 hours worth of work to do in order to be "caught up" again ;)
Post a Comment