I was So excited today to get an email from our school secretary letting me know that a package had arrived for me! My Donors Choose order came and once again it was like Christmas digging into everything that I got! I am so excited to put together these literacy bags for the kids to take home. The games I got are super cute and I am going to divide the book libraries and materials in each game so that I can make two bags with each theme (one for each class). I will have 11 different themes, so I figure each child will be able to take home a bag every other weekend! So fun!
I am planning on inviting parents to come after school one day and help me decorate the bags according to the theme. I am hoping that will make them feel invested in the idea of taking home the literacy bags and reading the books/playing the games with their children. I need to do some work to get everything prepped and ready because each bag should come with a note indicating what materials are inside so they can make sure to put everything back before returning the bag to school. I also want to make sure that each bag has some sort of game or activity in it, so I may need to make some journals or games for each topic. It would be great to get parent help in putting together some of the activities too because the more they are involved with, the better. I have a few parents who want to volunteer but asked that I send projects home. This could be a great way to get them involved too!
Today was a better day in the classroom. It really is amazing how a few absences can completely change the dynamics of the group! My morning class was great and the afternoon class was super giggly and silly. We do a greeting every morning and one cutie decided to greet me with a really deep, possessed sounding voice. The other kids thought it was so funny and it started a trend. My favorite quote of the day was from one little boy who announced to me that he plans to marry the girl who sits across from him and he has a plan all worked out. Adorable!
I went with my roomie to her Back to School Night at my former school. I got to see a few of my former students and I can't believe how big they have gotten! My first group of first graders are now in fifth grade! A few of her students that were in my first grade class didn't come, so I left them little notes on their desks. I saw their pictures on her wall from a writing assignment they did and a few look just the same but a few look so much more grown up! What a difference a year makes! I saw them around school up until last year and all of a sudden they just got so grown up.
I am really happy that tomorrow is Friday. I have a busy weekend ahead with some pilates, a walking date with friends, a birthday party, a hair appointment, and hanging out with Jill. I am so excited to sleep in, read, and relax!!

4 comments:
Sounds like a great plan i hope you post the finish bags. Have a wonderful weekend!
I started teaching the same year as you, so my first K kids are in 4th grade now. It's crazy how big they are! I even see them every year and I still think it's crazy!
Totally agree about certain kids being absent making a huge difference!
What great new things! I am so jealous. I signed up on donors choose but so far only about $40 of the $400ish needed has been raised. Oh well. Congrats to you and your kids!!
~Maggie
Post a Comment