I had my first class of fall term tonight with some of my doctoral peeps. I felt somewhat like part of the group last year through my skyping from Germany, but I cannot even express how nice it was to actually be in the same room with them tonight. We met from 4:30-9, which seems like a long time to be sitting in class on Friday night, but the time went by fast and we did so many great activities. We had a potluck dinner to celebrate the completion of our first year. This particular class is a Leadership Seminar that is geared towards helping us manage the workload and stay afloat in the program. There are two professors that are piloting this course and I cannot imagine doing the rest of the work without it. One of the teachers did so many great activities tonight, I already feel like I was never gone from the group.
She spent some time in France this summer and while she was there she chose a postcard for each person in our group and wrote us each a special message. She brought red clown noses (ala Patch Adams) and pins that say "I Did It!" to remind us of all we have accomplished and the importance of maintaining creativity and play as part of work. With all of the hard work and stress that comes along with getting a doctorate, I really appreciate her efforts to relieve the stress and infuse some fun into our classes. Another member of the group brought along some unique cards that he purchased through UNICEF. He suggested that we each select a card that we like and then we passed them around so each person in the group could write a short message to everyone else. I am so pumped about how supportive this group is. Since I am basically trying to squeeze both year 1 and year 2 core courses into one year, I know it will be a very challenging and difficult endeavor to get it all done. The two teachers leading this seminar are so supportive and are doing everything they can to help me complete all that I need to.
We have class from 9-3:30 tomorrow and even though that is a long day to spend in class on the weekend, I am looking forward to spending more time with this group and getting to know them even better.

2 comments:
I have to tell you that you are really impressive. To be doing this all in your first year of teaching a new grade level and not even really complaining about it is amazing to me! It sounds like you do have a good support system though. Will you be done with your doctorate after this year?
So neat that you have a strong group! That is so important! What are you getting your doctorate in again? I am sure you've mentioned it but I have forgotten!! Seriously reading your blog give me the itch to go back to school!!!!
Post a Comment