the trouble with flowers

I found out today that somehow through purchasing flowers online from 1-800 flowers,  I became enrolled in some program through a company called TGL Live Well which proceeded to withdrawal 38.99 from my checking account twice! I called my bank and they were happy to remove one of the charges and they instructed me to call this TGL Live Well company in order to cancel my account and have the other charge credited as well.

When I first saw this company name along with a deduction from my account, I searched the name online and it was linked to many forums where other people complained of the same problem that I encountered--charges being made that they had not agreed to.

It seems as though this company is somehow linked to online purchases (1-800-flowers seemed to be a repeat offender). I was told, when I called them that I had to click on something to enroll and there was some type of 15 dollar rebate offer, however I do not recall signing up for something like this and I suspect that purchasing the flowers somehow sneakily correlated with this enrollment in a membership with the other company without my realization. Now granted, I may not always read every single word when making a purchase online, but obviously this is a scam and many people are losing money because of it.

I wanted to post about it as a warning so that other online shoppers are careful when making online purchases, especially with 1-800 flowers. I will never again buy something from that company and I am really disappointed that they are linked to this scam. It definitely makes me think twice about making online purchases and makes me feel violated. Perhaps it was my fault, yet it obvious that the information is not clear and the way that someone becomes enrolled in their membership is often not recognized by the customer. The woman who I spoke with at my bank said that people call all the time with complaints about these charges, so it is either intentionally a scam or I am at least not alone in making the mistake of clicking something that was not clearly going to continue to take money from my account. The woman from TGL said that I should have received an email with further information about how to get my 15 rebate, which I never did, therefore I didn't get the information that supposedly informed me that I would continually be charged unless I canceled my "membership."

Thankfully, both the bank and this thieving company were very kind and I was able to get all of my money credited back. Whew! In the past I have approached situations like these very angrily, yet I have learned (from Mr. Sneaker) that even if I feel wronged and upset, it is really important to approach the person on the phone with kindness because it's not their fault and they are more likely to help someone who is being nice. After explaining my frustration in a nice way, I was able to get what I wanted!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I have had this same thing happen to me with another company. Usually at the bottom there is a little box that they have already checked and if you don't want in the program you have to uncheck it. It is so small that unless you are looking for it, you don't notice it. Glad everything worked out.