He returns from a trip to the US, tells you he brought you something, reaches into his bag, and pulls out.....
Post-Its!
At least that is how I know Mr. Sneaker loves me because it takes a sweet husband to care and understand his wife's love of post-its. He told me when he went to CVS he saw them and thought of me and wanted to bring me some. I feel like it's already my birthday!
What does your husband/boyfriend/significant other do to show you he/she really cares?
***
A blog post I read this morning written by a teacher who will be changing positions and moving to a new school got me thinking about DonorsChoose. She commented that she is a bit bummed to leave behind the items she received from a fulfilled DC proposal and she hopes the teacher who takes over her classroom appreciates them. I honestly never even thought about the fact that DC items should remain in the classroom when I moved. I started to think about it and even searched on their site because I felt like a teacher who made the effort to obtain extra/supplemental materials should get to take those materials to use with future students. The site actually said that it depends on what the original proposal stated and the intended usage of the items. In certain circumstances items can go with the teacher but in certain circumstances they can't.
I feel bad if I took items with me that "belonged" to my previous classroom, however, given that I obtained math games and lots of books, I should be able to use those materials with future classes since I took the time to write the proposal. Is that wrong? Teaching materials can be very costly and therefore once I obtained them through the grant, I kind of felt like they were mine (to use as I noted in the proposal, but not necessarily with the same kids or in the same room...). I used them according to my proposal for two years and I will continue to use them with my Kindergarten class next year. Did I do the wrong thing? I honestly never considered that those materials could possibly belong to my school considering I applied for them as an individual.
Teachers, what do you think? If you get materials that are for general classroom usage like books and games, do they stay with the classroom if you change grade levels or schools or do you take them because the idea was that they would benefit kids and they will still do that even if you are in a different place (given that it is still a public school as that is one of the requirements of applying?).

5 comments:
Well, I have written a ton of grants for various items... mostly big-ticket items. For those, I left them. It was hard, but I couldn't exactly schlep a Smartboard, projector, doc camera, clickers........
I didn't get those through Donors Choose, though.
I did write a grant through DC, and it was for a Flip camera. I kept it. I kept it with full intentions to use it in the classroom again, as I did when I wrote the grant originally. I believe it does say that you must keep those with the school, but I wrote so many grants, that I'm sure the school would've encouraged me to take it! I think I did a world of good for them.
It's tricky. I think for smaller items that are more tailored, keeping them to use with more kids... not a big deal.
Something that's worth a lot of money and it's clear you wrote a grant that the whole school knows about, you may want to leave it.
Ethically, as long as you're using it to teach and benefit kids, that's all that should really matter. At least it's certain the resources will be used!
Oh, and your husband DOES love you! I would say that mine shows he loves me by giving me elective massages. That is my one vice. He also buys me ice cream--another weakness. He enriches my life and I didn't think marriage would be this wonderful!
I commented on that post you are talking about. I have always taken my items with me because I am in the same school district and continue to use them despite the grade. If I wasn't going to use them, I probably would leave them but I'm with you -- I took the time to write the proposal and go through all of the stuff afterward (the photos and thank yous and such) that I feel like they belong to me.
I've never written a grant for any big ticket items though so I would feel differently about that. I've gotten books and magazines mostly.
I'm a new follower to your blog- I love it! I'm also about to start my first year of teaching- 5th grade! I think your blog will be a great resource to me! Would love all your tips and advice! :)
First of all we are clearly long lost twins. Eric would DEFINITELY get me post it notes, even though he definitely makes fun of my obsession.
Also, you should definitely be able to keep the items you get as long as you plan to use them with kiddos in the future. That's the only requirement as far as I'm concerned!
Hi Katie!! I've recently heard a little about the Donors Choose website, but I am not that familiar with it and how it works! Maybe you could do a post on it!! I would love to learn more!
Post a Comment