Reviews, Guest Posts, and Giveaways

Recently I have been contacted several times by people asking if I would be willing to have them write a guest post or if I would be willing to do a product review/giveaway. I find myself not really sure how to respond. I did a giveaway once before, but I after doing one, I was left feeling unsure about that whole aspect of blogging. I suppose it really has to do with the nature of the product I am being asked to review/giveaway, but I can't help but feel like it is just a way for certain companies/individuals to get business rather than a true reflection of their interest in my blog and those of you who read it. Are they really frequent readers or did they find my blog through a random search? Are they just using me? Did they send similar emails to many other bloggers as well? 

I feel like I know many of my readers, like I could sit down at a coffee shop and have a completely normal conversation with them as if we have been friends for years. I would welcome a guest post by someone who shares my interest in teaching and who knows me through my blog, yet these offers from strangers just leave me feeling uneasy.


I do like blogs that have giveaways, but when I see giveaways that ask people to follow the blogger on twitter and facebook in order to 'enter' I just feel like, for me personally, that is not what my blog is about. My blog is my writing and facebook and twitter are for different purposes. I love having followers and readers and hearing the opinions of others, but I do hope that my readers read my blog because they like what I write about and I wouldn't want to gain fans just because I am giving something away.

I review books and sometimes educational materials frequently, but there is something different about reviewing something specifically because I was asked to. I did accept the offer of a guest post because I thought why not try it out. Then I got another offer from someone wanting to do a guest post about any topic I wish for them to write about. I was left asking why? What is their angle? I don't really get it. I am just not sure how I feel about it. I question whether this is a direction I want my blog to go in--after all it is my blog so it should be my writing and my ideas. I know there are some very popular blogging communities that feature guest posts, but I love writing my posts and I want my blog to represent me. I am very interested to see the article that my guest blogger is putting together on the benefits of technology in education and instruction and I am interested to get feedback from you regarding whether it was a good choice to try out a guest post. Hopefully that post will be coming soon.

What are your thoughts on giveaways and guest bloggers? Would you let a 'stranger' post on your blog if they asked and you could review the post prior to putting it out there? Have you been asked to review products? When do you say yes and when do you say no?

If a legit educational supply company like Lakeshore asked me to do a review or course I would, but I am hesitant when I investigate the sites that are linked to these offers and they are less mainstream. Maybe I am too much of a worrier, but I am not looking to gain popularity by giving things away and I don't feel right reviewing something unless I am really using it or really believe in it. I also don't want to say negative things about a product that I have only used for the purpose of a review because I don't feel that is authentic either.

I would love to hear your opinions about this topic!!

Also, if you are a blogger that does giveaways or encourages people to follow you on facebook and twitter as well, please do not view this as an attack on how you choose to do things. I am just trying to figure out I feel about this topic and perhaps with some reader feedback I will get a better sense of things. This post is not meant to insult anyone, I am just really trying to think about this from different angles before I make my decision about the giveaway offers etc. Thanks for your help!

10 comments:

Beth P. said...

I have done a couple of giveaways/reviews and I enjoy them. The product I am posting about has to be something I believe in or would use myself but other than that I see no harm. I am not interested in becoming a constant giveaway blog, so a few here in there that I can have faith in are good for me.

I've never had someone ask to guest post on my blog. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that either. I guess it would depend on who, what they wanted to write about, and whether or not it really fit in with my blogs general feel. I may try it out once or twice to see how it goes. After all.. it doesn't hurt to try!

Formerly known as Frau said...

The only giveaways I do or on blogs I already read and comment on. Not the ones you have to post on FB or Twitter. It's not really for me, either is reviews. As for quest blogging I think if you are on vacation and want to have someone blog that is like minded to you and your blog I say go for it. I have followed many blogs from reading quest bloggers.

Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style said...

I agree with you on a lot of what you're talking about here, Katie. I thin it all depends about what you and your blog are about. Some people have their blog as an outlet for their thoughts and interests, while others take it beyond that and try to gain (fame, income, sponsorship, a book deal) from it. This is not to judge those who are trying to turn their blogs into businesses, that's just not the route I'm interested in.
I'd personally be more comfortable with product reviews. Of course I'd try to be selective in choosing to review products that I or my readers might enjoy, but free stuff is free stuff and you can always give a negative review. As far as guest blogging goes I'd prefer it if strangers did not post to my blog- friends yes, strangers no.

Raye said...

I am not a big fan of the giveaways where you have to follow on FB and such either. In fact, the one time I entered a blog giveaway, I found it (for me) to be ridiculous just to have to post so many times in order to get all of the entries. When that blog had another giveaway, I passed on it. I have much better things to do with my time than comment repeatedly on a post to win something I could buy if I really wanted it ;)


I'm with you about the reviews and such though. I review books and things that I've read and found some meaning in...but I'm not sure how I would feel if someone from the outside approached me and asked me to do the same. I'd have to wonder what their agenda was. Perhaps I'm just cynical that way, but there seems to always be an agenda!

Julianne Hendrickson said...

I completely understand what you are saying. However, I think there can be some good to both giveaways and guest bloggers. I would definitely look over the guest blogger's post before having it posted, but I think that could be neat to get a different perspective, kind of like a "town hall" meeting. Giveaways are totally up to you--I think that has to be a personal decision, but it is nice to support other's in their independent ventures.

ELL Forever said...

I think a good guiding question is: Would I have written about this even if I hadn't been asked to do it?

About a guest blogger, I don't know... I am all for supporting new people and new writers, I wonder if perhaps you may start a second blog, like: "Sneaker-Teacher and friends"...

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Well, I don't know about it as a regular thing, but some people are passionate about education, too, and may have a special piece to share with fellow educators. They probably respect you and feel as though you are reaching teachers and having intellectual conversations with these people. I would never guest blog for someone else, but I can see that someone might want to share their passion as you do, but don't have the audience for it. I am interested in the guest post you'll be having. Ed. Tech is my passion.

As for the giveaways... I think as long as the giveaway is something you believe in (probably related to education or fitness) and people didn't have to follow you or do anything silly, it's okay. But, I think this goes without saying that most of us read your blog because we have an interest in what you share about education and we feel like we're friends with you... though we've never met! Giveaway or not, it wouldn't enrich the blog. It may bring more people without similar interests to it just so they can get something for free.

Ashlee said...

I am not a fan of giveaways, and never enter them, unless it's because the author really has a tie with the product and has purchased it with their own money. I think many companies start to use bloggers as their free media and advertisers by only giving the blogger some free stuff. I think it all starts to get somewhat shady, and people start to sell out. I've been contacted by many companies and I politely turn them down (except for Chocomize because I can't ever get enough chocolate). It's up to you though, your blog is what you want it to be. Some people thrive off readers and sponsorship, but I personally could care less!

Karin Katherine said...

When I go to blog conferences this comes up. It all boils down to if you are trying to make money off your blog...and to do that you need a lot of traffic...and to do that you need to give stuff away etc.

People want to guest post to get links to their blog...to drive more traffic to their blog OR to flat out sell you something.

Maybe I'm just not talented enough, but I just don't think of *my* blog as a money making venture!

; 0 )

Sneaker Teacher said...

Thanks for all of the input on this post!