This summer I completed my Master's Project which was entitled, "Best Practices and Implications of Response to Intervention for Elementary Level Non-Native English Speakers." The topic stems from my interest in both English as a second language and special education and what happens when they intersect.
Because I chose to do my project by myself rather than working in a group, it was a lot of work that took up a lot of my time this summer. Although I am so glad it is over, I found the research I did to be very interesting. I came across a lot of great resources related to linguistically and culturally appropriate teaching practices, Guided Language Acquisition Design (GLAD), Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP), Response to Intervention (RTI), teacher expectations, and teacher preparation.
I'd like to share some of the resources I found to be most helpful:
Brown, J.E., & Doolittle, L. (2008). A cultural, linguistic, and ecological framework for response to intervention with english language learners. Teaching Exceptional Children 40(5), 66-72.
Cartledge, G., & Kourea, L. (2008). Culturally responsive classroo
ms for culturally diverse students with and at risk for disabilities. Exceptional Children, 74(3), 351-371.
Chamberlain, S.P. (2005). Recognizing and responding to cultural differences in the education of culturally and linguistically diverse learners. Intervention in School Clinic, 40(4), 195-211.
Echevarria, J., Short, D., & Powers, K. (2006). School ref
orm and standards-based education: model for English-language learners. The Journal of Educational Research, 99(4), 195-210.
GarcĂa, S.B., & Ortiz, A.A. (2006). Preventing disproportionate representation: Culturally and linguistically responsive interventions. Teaching
Exceptional Children, 38(4), 64-68.
Gersten, R., & Woodward, J.P. (1994). The language-minority student in special education: Issues, trends, and paradoxes. Exceptional Children, 60, 310-322.
GoPaul-McNicol, S.A., & Thomas-Presswood, T. (1998). Working with linguistically and culturally different children: Innovative clinical and educational approaches. Needham Heights: Allyn & Bacon.
Mandlawitz, M. (2007). What every teacher should kno
w about IDEA laws and regulations. Boston: Pearson.
Nordmeyer, J. (2008). Delicate balance: ELL students struggle to balance language and content, while educators need partnerships and specific professional learning. National Staff Development, 29(1), 34-40.
Ortiz, A.A. (1997). Learning disabilities occurring concomitantly with linguistic differences. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 30, 321-332.


No comments:
Post a Comment