Classroom Management

I am trying out a new classroom management system this year. Not entirely creative since I purchased a pre-packaged pocket chart that includes different colored rectangles for each student and nameplates, but the idea is the make the expectations as clear as possible in an effort to reduce the amount of time spent handling discipline and disruption related issues. 

Each student has their name on a pocket that includes colored cards: green, yellow, orange, and red. The idea is that all children begin the day on green and remain on green if their behavior is in accordance with the school and classroom rules and expectations. Students who remain on green all week might be eligible for random surprises or privileges. 

If a student becomes disruptive, he/she is given a warning and must place the yellow card at the front of the pocket. If the first incident is more severe than being disruptive the warning step may be skipped, going directly to the orange card and a time out.

If another problem occurs with the same student, they move their orange card to the front of the pocket and are given a consequence such as a time out away from the group. 

Another incident results in the red card being moved to the front, another consequence (longer timeout, perhaps in another classroom) and a note sent home to parents. 


I have not used a system like this before, however I think that it hold students accountable for their behavior and allows them to know exactly what consequence results from what behavior.

I feel very strongly that communication with parents is an important part of being successful, so parents will be required to sign and return the note sent home to acknowledge that they received it. 

I just finished reading Setting Limits in the Classroom by Robert J. MacKenzie, Ed.D. I found the book to be very interesting and learned a lot from it. MacKenzie describes four different kinds of discipline styles: punitive, permissive, mixed and diplomatic. 

The Punitive Approach is firm, but not respectful. This type of approach to discipline typically results in angry and resentful students who want to retaliate and engage in power struggles.

The Permissive Approach is respectful, but not firm. This type of approach to discipline results in kids not knowing when they are really expected to stop because they may receive multiple verbal warnings but no clear actions to support their words. The only way students know when to stop is by testing the limits and seeing what they can get away with.

The Mixed Approach is neither firm nor respectful. This type of approach to discipline is inconsistent and does not provide students with a clear message regarding expectations.

The Democratic Approach is firm and respectful. This approach to discipline achieves guidance goals with the least amount of conflict and greatest amount of cooperation. An essential component to this approach is clear messages with limited choices. It focuses on teaching and learning which is guided by the teacher who provides clear limits, acceptable choices, and instructive consequences that hold children accountable for their actions.

Reading about these different approaches made me think about how I typically handle situations in my classroom. I would have to admit that I probably employ the mixed approach more than anything else which is exactly why I am spending more time now to plan out my behavior management strategies so that I can be consistent and clear.

I am hopeful this new system will work and will update as the year goes on. My main goal is to recognize positive behavior more frequently and focus on the good things I see in the classroom so that students are more likely to engage in positive behaviors that enhance their learning. 

No comments: