Dinosaurs & God

I am absolutely loving my class right now and how capable they are at this point in the year. I have 20 kiddos, which is a great number and although there are definitely times when listening skills are far from perfect, overall they are just doing a great job. We have 6 more school days until summer and I am at the point in the year where I have done all the new instruction and I am just enjoying the kiddos now and trying to have fun with them. Don't get me wrong, we are still reading and writing and doing math, but I am disregarding my sense of pressure to stick to the pacing guide in order to loosely follow what I am "supposed" to be doing and to make our activities a bit more engaging. I am using the weekly theme from our reading program and just adding in extra stuff that the kids are excited about like ::gasp:: painting. We have not done a lot of art this year and my kiddos were super excited to paint tropical fish last week.

This week our reading theme is dinosaurs (the weekly themes are insects, fish, then dinosaurs as part of a larger unit on amazing creatures). Today I read the story If The Dinosaurs Came Back followed by Gail Gibbons' Dinosaurs to compare and contrast fantasy versus reality. Gail Gibbons' book has illustrations, but provides information about dinosaurs instead of a completely made up story. I talked about how that book was different than our non-fiction books about butterflies because in those books there were photos about butterflies but there aren't any photos of dinosaurs because there weren't any people or cameras back in the dinosaur days. We talked about how the information about dinosaurs comes from people who study their fossils because no-one was around to observe them. The kids were excited to talk about dinosaurs and there were lots of hands waving in the air to ask questions (some more related to the discussion about dinosaurs than others...) So, in the midst of these stories and my explanation that there were no people around when dinosaurs were living, I had a few students wanting to know if God was around back then and if Adam and Eve were around back then. One, I have to give props to those kiddos for thinking critically about what they know about the world from their religious upbringing. Based on the understanding of creationism, there wouldn't be dinosaurs if God wasn't around to create them....right?

I always feel very conflicted, however, when they ask me questions wanting to confirm God's role in how the world works and how the world came to be. I feel like I've gotten these comments several times in recent weeks.

What is water made of? Did God make it? 

How did the butterfly get here?
It came from an egg. 
But where did the butterfly come from that made the egg? Did God make it? 

Who knew the battle of creationism versus evolution would rear its head in Kindergarten.

It's kind of like when the kids get into a discussion about whether or not Santa is real and some kids weigh in that he is not and that he is pretend. It's very difficult to provide an answer that satisfies everyone and doesn't leave anyone feeling deflated about what they have learned at home. Luckily, as previously noted, the listening skills of Kinders are not super exceptional at all times, so when I feel it is kind of necessary to move in a different direction it's not too difficult to divert their attention to something else. I feel bad though because they are asking great questions. They're just not questions I can really answer.

How many days left until you are on summer break? 
What do you do (if you teach in a public setting) and your students address God?  

Special shout to Kelly (Hi Kelly!) because she may be the only one who still reads my blog considering I NEVER post! 


4 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Hahaha, I do read it! :)

God/Santa comes up in K a lot and I'm also in a public school so it's hard to address I agree. I just always say Santa is real, because I don't want to ruin that for kids who still believe (and I feel like they should in K). As for God, I just tell them that we don't talk about God at school because people have different opinions on that. I will say though that the times I find it most challenging are when really sad things happen, it's so hard to explain in a way that doesn't involve God... I'm not even really religious myself but in those moments, it seems like the easiest way to "explain" things to children... so hard.

I have 15 more days. I'm unfortunately not enjoying my class at all. I so need this year to be done!

Raye said...

I still read too! :)

I try not to respond if the kids say something although I DO tell them God has nothing to do with it if they are mad at me and exclaim "Oh my God!" because it just drives me crazy!

We have 4 days left...two of which are half days. Crazy.

Anonymous said...

I read!! I was just thinking this is my first year since I was 5 that I didn't count down the days until June. Very bitter sweet. I think Dino's and God are a very interesting topic however sometimes I think all kids want to do is talk in through not necessarily get an answer. You are such a great teacher I am sure you handled it so well!

Stu said...

I'm a retired elementary teacher...taught K through 6th (not all at the same time) and Reading Recovery for 35 years. I've been volunteering in a local elementary school since I retired in 2010.

Full disclosure: I'm Jewish...and have spent my career teaching in schools in rural areas of northeast Indiana populated by mostly very conservative Christians -- Mennonites, Evangelicals, Missionaries, Amish, etc...

I've handled lots of questions about God and Santa over the years. With Santa I always talk about how I would meet with him every year at the convention of the "Bearded People of the World." Kids who didn't believe almost always knew that I was kidding...kids who did listened with great interest.

God, on the other hand, is not so easy to deal with in primary grades in public schools. Most of the time, when kids made statements like "God made x" or "Jesus made y" I would just say something like "OK..." and move on. A few times kids would actually put me on the spot and ask flat out about God or Jesus...if it was something I didn't feel comfortable answering (like the time I was asked by a second grader if Adam and Eve were really the first two people) I would tell the kids that they needed to ask their parents since not everyone believes the same thing. That seemed to work.

It's important to remember that, if you're teaching in a public school, even in an area filled with people who seem the same, there might be someone who is not a member of the majority religion. That's why religious beliefs and explanations are parental responsibilities.

Oh...and I read your blog!