What I'm Reading/What I've Read

Now that it's summer and I have more free time I am adding two very important things back into my life. 

exercise and reading for pleasure

Since I completed my dissertation I have finished three books and I am now reading a fourth. I recently read 


Now I am reading 


This one definitely requires a little more brain power, so it's going a bit more slowly than the pace at which I whizzed through the others, but so far it's interesting. It motivated me to dive into the math curriculum work I had planned for this summer and I got a good chunk of it done. I realize that I need to be a bit more creative with math this year because once I pulled all of the lessons relating to each particular CCSS strand, I realize the great extent to which the same lessons are repeated over and over and over because the program is laid out to "spiral." If I want to chunk the concepts next year, I need to teach the various skills in different ways or else the kids are going to be bored to tears. I still have more work to do and want to think about how many times I want to actually do the lessons that repeat in order to provide enough practice. 

So far this summer I've been a pretty productive stay at home mom. I've been doing yoga when Baby Sneaker naps in the morning and then showering up and cleaning until she wakes up. Then in the afternoon I've been getting other things accomplished like organizing drawers and cabinets, pinning gazillions of teaching ideas on Pinterest, and reading. 

What are you reading this summer? 
Reading teachery things or reading for pleasure (or are those the same for you?)

2 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I'll definitely be adding a few of those to my to-read list :) I'm still not officially on summer vacation until this afternoon (thank god!) so the summe reading has not yet begun, but I hope it will be good. I will be steering clear of education books at least for the first month or so.

Miss Trayers said...

I am also consciously trying to read more! I just read Reconstructing Amelia as well. I got through it pretty quickly for me, I had to find out the answer to the mystery! What did you think of Revenge?

NotJustChild'sPlay