Each year teachers in my district are provided one "floating holiday" which is basically a personal day that we can use whenever we want for whatever reason we want (with the exception of days that are right before or after a holiday).
Even though I originally wanted to just apply my floating holiday to my maternity leave, I decided to use it tomorrow. I had to take an appt. at 8:30 tomorrow in order to see the doctor that I really like for my baby checkup and rather than going in for the PM class and using .5 a sick day, I just decided to cash in on my holiday.
That means
I can sleep a little bit later and wake up around 7:30 instead of 6.
I can work on my power point because I will be presenting my dissertation proposal to my class on Friday.
I can hit the gym mid-day (I have a new goal to "workout" (walk slowly on the treadmill) three times a week until Miss Baby Sneaker comes)
I can take a little nap if I get tired from reading/working on my presentation.
Sounds like a nice day to me :0)
I am excited that I get the chance to present to my class on Friday because they are all super smart and I know they will give me great feedback as I try to figure out exactly what my study will be like. I haven't been doing a ton of writing recently because my adviser advised me to change my original plan and basically told me not to plan to have it done before the baby comes, so I my new plan gave me about 4 extra weeks to complete the proposal. I know my research questions and I know I want to do a case study, but I am still mulling over the details and the plan for the design etc. So many things to think about....
I have three weeks left of work and only one is a full week...how crazy is that? Next week, we have a training day on Thursday, I have a CARE training on Tuesday, and we have spring conferences on Friday, so I am only in the classroom teaching two days. This week is a four-day week because I took tomorrow off and then my last week (if I make it that long) is a full week. I can't believe that is all the time I have left with my little kiddos. I love these classes so much and it's weird to think that these are my last few weeks with them and my last few weeks working full time. I am almost definitely requesting to go part time next year in which case I will only teach AM Kinder instead of both AM and PM.
I am interested in pursuing other opportunities to bring in a bit more income like maybe teaching a university course or teaching online, but I am going to settle into motherhood before I really look into that.
It is so sunny in Portland right now, it feels like spring. Maybe if it's this nice tomorrow I can enjoy some working/reading time on the roof top patio we have in our building!!

2 comments:
I can't believe how soon Baby Sneaker is coming ! :) So exciting! That's so great that you can put in to work only half day next year. I pushed so hard for full day in my district but I know in the next couple of years I'm going to be wising it was half day again!
I like the idea of a floating holiday. Is that in addition to personal days or is it the same as a personal day?
Sounds like a perfect way to start a week off! Enjoy!
Post a Comment