Yesterday I mentioned a little fantasy that I have and it has got me thinking about the lovely fresh start that happens each year for teachers--quite possibly making being a teacher the very best job in the entire world. In what other profession do you have the ability to basically reinvent yourself each and every September?! As we creep closer and closer to that coveted last day of school, sometimes our organization starts to slip (ok, who am I kidding, I don't think my organization was ever awesome to begin with), our energy starts to fade, and our mojo is a little short of teachery pizazz. Our minds start to focus on umbrella drinks, lazy mornings, beach books, and the ultra luxury of having more than 20 minutes to eat lunch! I am not saying that we are bad teachers by the end of the year, but I do look forward to a fresh start in the fall when I have renewed sense of energy, purpose, and passion for spending so much time with my little monkeys.
So, back to my fantasy...the one in which I am the best teacher ever and have the most amazing class/activities/lessons/ideas...I came home after hitting up the library for a very large pile of Eric Carle books, a side of Frog and Toad, and a large helping of beginner non-fiction books on various land animals and started filling out my lesson plans for next week. Back to that whole organization thing, somehow this year I am finding myself leaving school on Friday with a completely empty lesson plan page, but while catching up on missed shows from the week and sipping my cold Diet Coke, I somehow manage to get it completed in order to begin the next week with fantabulous activities for my little friends. While I was planning lessons to reinforce teen numbers, I remembered that Mr. H from Look at My Happy Rainbow had posted a good video showing all the teen numbers. I headed over to youtube and entered the wonderful world of educational videos (some good/some bad) and had a lot of fun browsing around. I came across a few gems and started having visions of using a lot of music and fun tunes next year with my teenie tiny newbie Kinders. I really need to learn how to play the guitar or at least the ukulele so I can be like the Jack Black ala School of Rock.
Take a look at some of the videos I found!
I love the hip hop alphabet the most and I am thinking of getting some fun sun glasses from Oriental Trading so we can get into character when we rock it out!
these...
or maybe these...
I am partial to animal prints!
I think I will also throw some of these into the order
Pointing to the words is so much cooler with a martian finger!
Year two of Kindergarten is going to be so much fun!
I had a conversation with a PM kiddo today about him leaving me for first grade. I asked him if he was sure he didn't just want to stay with me, but he told me he wanted to try something new. Sigh. At least he agreed to come visit me and I sure hope he brings along his awesome hugs. I should probably head to Costco one of these days to get a mondo bulk pack of Kleenex because I sure and going to need them on June 15th!



2 comments:
You must try Mark D. Pencil's hip hop CD. It will get your class movin' and learning. Check it put on my blog.
Or download from iTunes.
http://learningwithmrsparker.blogspot.com/2011/04/got-music.html
I can't sing or play any kind of instrument but I use a TON of music with my kids. I've played a couple of those teen number videos and I also have the best sight word songs (from heidi songs). I've been on a search for my counting by 5s song but I can't find it for some reason!
I love the new year part of teaching- I think sometimes its really good to have a new class of students too :) Some years its more important than others!
Post a Comment