100th Day!

Wow it's been a long time since I last posted! With three weeks until the end of Winter term, I am buried with papers and am struggling to get everything done! I know it will happen, but I can't tell you how happy I will be when it is March 19th, Winter term is over, spring break is in effect, and I am on my way to the airport to get my cute husband!

We reconvened at school today after a snow day and celebrated the 100th day. I was a little leery about what was going to happen given that we had snow in Oregon (which doesn't happen that often), and the kids were totally amped up for the 100th day, and it was Friday. I was kind of expecting a pretty chaotic day, but it was awesome. The kiddos had a ton of fun and I was told approximately 100 times that I am the best teacher and I am awesome. The best part of the day was the 100 day snack.

 I set out 10 different kinds of snacks which included mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, Cheerios, Fruit Loops, corn nuts, Skittles, popcorn, jelly beans, oyster crackers, and Goldfish.

 Each child got an egg carton that had two of the egg cups cut off so there were 10 little compartments. They also got a list with each of the snack items on it. 

They went to one snack item at a time and put 10 pieces in their egg carton, then brought it back to their table and put it on a 100 chart. 

 Some kids even added to the activity by making patterns with their colored candies and Fruit Loops.


Once the kiddos had all of their snack items, they got to slide their snack into a plastic baggie and enjoy it! 

The kids also had some other 100 day things to do once they were eating their snack. They had a jumbo 100 dollar bill and they wrote what they would buy with $100 and a certificate that said, I am 100 days smarter that they could color. We had more activities planned, but since we missed school yesterday, I just didn't get to everything. We had planned for them to draw a picture of what they will look like when they are 100 and to write/draw on a page that said I can eat 100 ______.

During our daily math routine we also counted to 100, clapped 100 times, jumped 100 times in groups of ten, then stayed quiet for 100 seconds. Staying quiet was the hardest one! There was a lot of giggle stifling going on. Overall, it was a really fun day. 

Dare I say that's what Kindergarten really should be like all the time!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Our 100th day was chaotic and exhausting but fun all around! We did a similar snack station and it was a big hit! Unfortunately, our celebration fell on a Tuesday.... Friday would have been much better ;)

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Yay, so glad you are back :) In MA we have vacation in Feb and April so I have no idea how you guys make it to spring break (we have a shorter Dec. break to make up for it, but I am fine with that haha- I love to break up my vacations). It's probably better for you this way though since seeing your husband is part of your vacations.

Sounds like a great 100th day of school. Ours was a couple of weeks ago and a lot of fun too :) Glad you finally got that snow day you wished for!

Mandy's Memories said...

Welcome back! Aren't you glad it's over? lol Great ideas and i know they all had so much fun!!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

What a great activity! I love it!
I'm looking forward to spring break too, ours starts after March 11th. :)